There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Military Service

Current Employee - Leading Chief Petty Officer in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Leading Chief Petty Officer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security, decent salary, excellent benefits, pension plan

Cons

Frequent Travel, rigorous hours, complicated job demands

reviews filtered by
  1. I am proudly serving my Country aboard the USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) and ready to start looking for a career.

Current Employee - Aviation Ordnanceman Petty Officer Third Class in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-See the world. I have been to 7 different countries.
    -Team atmosphere
    -Camaraderie
    -Free Education
    -Veteran Benefits
    - Working for a greater good

Cons

-Time away from my family. Completed two deployments, during my two year navy career only been with my family 5 months.
    -Money/Time working ratio. Underway is 12 hr working days 7 days a week.
    -6-10 month Deployments

The Navy has been around a long time, its easy for someone that has only been in two years to say something negative but we are the worlds strongest and most powerful Navy for one reason because we are doing something right. My only comment is that some sailors need to work more on their leadership skills and I think the Navy needs to get involved and help evolve more of them into the best leaders they can be.

2. One of the best things I have ever done

Former Employee - (AT) Aviation Electronic Technician in Oak Harbor, WA
    Former Employee - (AT) Aviation Electronic Technician in Oak Harbor, WA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Went in straight after high school. Developed a strong work ethic
    -Developed a sense of integrity. In the Navy, if you do something wrong, you have to say something or lives can be put at risk
    -Great travel. Got to see a lot of places and meet a lot of people I would have never otherwise met.
    -Loved my job. I worked on airplanes and was a direct contribution to the mission success.
    -Better benefits than anywhere else. Health, Dental, Vision, and TSP.
    -The camraderie is nothing like you will ever see in the civilian world. You work, eat, and sleep with these people and you will get close to them. The experience you share with these folks will carry with you forever.

Cons

-Travel. While it was great it was all the time. There were times where you would get home, wash your uniforms and pack them right back up.
    -Working hours. While you are in the Navy, it owns you. You will work long hours.
    -There will be times when you hate it. I know there were times when I hated working with the Navy. However, when you leave you will look back with nothing but pride.
    -Because you are around the same people day in and day out, you will get into petty fights.
    -Management is very political. Keep your head down and do your job and you will be fine.

Stop catering to the crybabies. It's the military, and its your job to prep people to handle the stress and demands of deployment.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy