US Navy

www.navy.mil
  www.navy.mil
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Navy career-- full of numerous unadvertised future benefits!

Current Employee - Submarine Fire Control Technician in Groton, CT
Current Employee - Submarine Fire Control Technician in Groton, CT

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very good initial technical/vocational training with good opportunity for promotion. Competitive organization that recognizes the hardest working and most dedicated people. The system rewards hard work and naturally bypasses those who just want to 'coast' through their careers. Benefits of being a Sailor in the Navy include, but are not limited to: free medical care for active duty service members and their dependents, 'zillions of un-used dollars available for Tuition Assistance (T/A) (that go un-asked for!), service members are given preferential credit by local colleges and universities by being allowed to pay for in-state tuition, graduate degree education vouchers are available to apply for (ie- free degee!), CLEP & DANTES provides a means to get college credit (free) just by studying and taking specialized exams on college subjects, senior officers are given opportunities for completing graduate degrees on shore duty (for free), etc, etc. Sailors are also: given housing allowances commensurate with the part of the country they live in, provided cheaper shopping prices at Exchanges and Commissary's, given dislocation and cost of living allowances, provided with countless local area "Military Discounts" from vendors/merchants/businesses for appreciation, given a retirement check after serving honorably for just 20 years, given support with end-of-career transitioning assistance, given support from the Veterans Administration, given a VA home loan guarantee voucher, given 30 days of paid vacation each year, given a uniform maintenance allowance in their pay once each year, given moderate-to-lavish sized reenlistment bones (for certain rates and certain specialties) and also very good retention bonuses for officer programs/communities, numerous opportunities for gaining an officer commission from the enlisted ranks, etc, etc, etc, etc. (Sailors pay for "resident" hunting and fishing licenses, instead of non-resident; very important for sportsmen/women!).
During my 28 years of serving in the Navy, I have seen countless improvements in how much more professional our force has become! I'm very proud of the Navy of today, and I'm excited to see how much more professional it will look 28 years from now! The Navy has been very good for me: parents couldn't afford to put me through college after high school so they steered me (correctly) straight into the Navy. During my career, I have been able to complete an Associates and Bachelors degree on my own (through lots of hard work and from taking advantage of all opportunities to attend a college class!). Serving also gives you other un-written benefits: pride in yourself & family for serving your country, pride in being able to mentor a young person to make them a better Sailor, "growing up" in the Navy and gaining a full appreciation of everything around you! Some folks will say that after you get out, you may not miss the Navy, but you sure will miss the people! Navy Sailors are the best part of the Navy!

Cons

Deploying away from home/loved ones periodically, working in hard conditions sometimes, competing in "over manned" enlisted ratings causes a severe slow down in promotions (must choose a critical rating/job and one that is preferably in a "under-manned" status). During times of down-sizing, the Navy thins down the total end-strength of the force using various "force shaping" tools to weed out low or poor performing Sailors.

Stop proposing a new style uniform every 10 years! During my 28 years of service, I've seen numerous uniform changes! Sailors today look nothing like they did back in the '80's when I came in!

3978 Other Employee Reviews for US Navy (View Most Recent)

It made me into the man I am today.

Current Employee - Boatswains Mate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Boatswains Mate in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

experience that is gained for the real world is unattainable anywhere else.

Cons

time that must be given

Submarine Officer

Current Employee - Nuclear Submarine Officer in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Nuclear Submarine Officer in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Changing duties every 1-3 years, increasing responsibility, not boring.

Cons

Move a lot, out to sea.

Be more open on positions available.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy