There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Challenging days, but ultimately a privilege and an honor to serve.

Former Employee - Division Officer in Newport News, VA
Former Employee - Division Officer in Newport News, VA

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people, interesting work, daily variety, and unique opportunities to travel, learn, interact, and grow. It is what you make of it, but if you go in with a positive attitude and desire to serve well and learn all you can it can be an immensely rewarding experience.

Cons

Depending on the command work-life balance can be difficult. Leadership can be hit or miss sometimes as well. Worked with some amazing leaders but there are others that still have room to grow.

Advice to Management

Think big picture, but keep in mind the leaders on the deckplates. Don't just take in what is shown to you, dig deeper. Figure out new ways of identifying talent and recognizing/rewarding/promoting it, while weeding out those that really have no business moving up in the organization. But most of all, keep the focus where it should be: winning at war.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Logistics Specialist

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Pearl City, HI
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Pearl City, HI

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, travel, retirement, diverse cultures, tuition assistance,

Cons

Leaving the family behind for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

Actually do some mentoring to your juniors.

2. Good Pay; Better Benefits

Current Employee - Avionics Technician First Line Supervisor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel the pay is competitive in my electronics technician field if you do not consider overtime that is not paid for. The benefits of medical and dental coverage/insurance for my family and I can not be beat in today's corporate America. Tuition Assistance is also available.

Cons

Frequent deployments away from family can be tough. Plenty of overtime will be worked, although in the military, there is no "time and a half" pay. My wife calculated my hourly wage, and well, we won't mention it, it's that depressing.

Advice to Management

Deep Six the way advancement to Chief Petty Officers are handled and replace it with a 360 Performance Evaluations along with more weight for the advancement exam. I mean, how can one be a leader when they continue to fail the subordinate development section of the tests?