There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Great real world working experience

Former Employee - Submarine Machinist Mate First Class in Pearl Harbor, HI
Former Employee - Submarine Machinist Mate First Class in Pearl Harbor, HI

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Navy provided me with great on the job training and taught me how to succeed in any environment.

Cons

The hours could be highly demanding in excess of 120hr/week There were also people of very low skill level still retained by the Navy because of manning requirements.

Consider the advice of the subordinates.

3757 Other Employee Reviews for US Navy (View Most Recent)

Learned to be a Strong and Compassionate Leader

Current Employee - Cryptology Tech - CWO2 in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Cryptology Tech - CWO2 in Washington, DC

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership opportunities with meeting critical challenges that can be a life or death situation. Traveling the globe to see places you only read abut in books or see in the movies. I spent 22 years and I do not regret a moment! It was great to learn to work with the folks from different parts of the country and it helped me become creative in bring a team together to get things done.

Cons

The work hours when you are stationed on ship, sub or combat unit are long. Moving every 2 to 3 years is not a picnic. You are not able to be at many special family events due to your deployment schedule of lack of available manpower to be granted leave.

Listen to your team. They truly want to do the right thing but if you push them because you want to control them, it will backfire in the end. You cannot ask anyone to do what you are not willing to do yourself. Respect your juniors, support your peers and be truthful to your superiors.

This was a great job, would be a great career.

Former Employee - CTM in Sugar Grove, WV
    Former Employee - CTM in Sugar Grove, WV

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Steady pay, changing jobs, all and all a great system to work for. The main reason to join the service is not to get rich, but to serve others.

Cons

The pay is pretty weak on the enlisted side of the house, who are the burden of most of the work. While they do not get the recognition they deserve, they are the best in the world at getting a job done.

Lead by example, not by words. If you choose to make a schedule difficult, be in that schedule with the men. Do not burden your force unnecesarily.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy