US Navy

www.navy.mil
  www.navy.mil
There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

It opened my eyes and made me see exactly what I want out of life.

Former Employee - E4 - Petty Officer Third Class in Pearl Harbor, HI
Former Employee - E4 - Petty Officer Third Class in Pearl Harbor, HI

I worked at US Navy as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Opportunity to meet some very nice people
* The respect I got from people outside of the organization was amazing
* THE BENEFITS
* Getting stationed in exotic locations

Cons

* The are people that are extremely narrow-minded and think that the Navy is their ticket to success (where in reality only the officer's and Chiefs who have been in over 20 years are able to find financial success in short periods of time)
* It takes FOREVER to become a real person of influence (but this is still a mirage because no matter how high you get there is ALWAYS someone to tell you what to do
* The underway culture is screwed up meaning when the husbands and wives go out to sea, ALL BETS ARE OFF and this is widely accepted by 99.9% of members.
*LONG HOURS - This probably goes without saying but once you sign on the dotted line, THEY HAVE YOU.

I know that it's tradition to just treat people certain ways based on rank and rank alone, but take the time to give qualified people a chance to really take charge and become a leader even if their collar device doesn't say they are capable.

3978 Other Employee Reviews for US Navy (View Most Recent)

Started out great but stayed on the same boat for too long. had to get out after 6 years

Former Employee - E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - E5 - Navy - Petty Officer Second Class in Bremerton, WA

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great benefits and after your school is paid for

Cons

Politics in everything. gross mismanagement of budget.

Learning Experience

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Patuxent River, MD
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Patuxent River, MD

I worked at US Navy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and Division Head was very supportive and encouraging. Government job with typical government benefits (10 Federal holidays, ok pay, good retirement benefits).

Cons

LOCATION sucks....60 miles south of DC and no Interstate system...commute was horrible. Entiretly too much training thrown at new employees at one time....hard to digest and understand how to use because you were hardly at your desk long enough to actually put the "classroom" training to use. Have to worry every time congress has budget and spending issues. First thing they talk about is putting government employees on furlow for several weeks.

Cut back on the training and allow new employees time to digest what is thrown out to them and put each piece to use before moving on to the next level of training. What good is training someone if they can't get an opportunity to use it in the real time for a while before learning something else? It all starts to run together and becomes frustrating. Also, consider moving the HQ office back to CIVILIZATION. Since the company (NAVAIR) is a division of the US Navy, which is controlled by the federal government, when there are budget/spending issues, instead of talking about doing away with benefits such as SS and Medicare or withholding our service members' pay or putting the federal employees on furlow so that they don't get paid, Congress should have its pay withheld first. Talk about getting the budget balanced...would solve the entire problem.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy