Worth the pain

Former Employee - O3 - Navy - Lieutenant
Former Employee - O3 - Navy - Lieutenant

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people. Exciting work. Sense of purpose. Without a doubt some of the most amazing and talented people I've ever come across in my life. The experience will change you for the better. The world will seem different afterwards. The things most people worry about will seem trivial.

Cons

Leadership. A cog in the machine. Deployments to help senior leaders careers. Once had an Admiral complain that he was embarrassed in the pentagon around Army Generals that we were only doing an 8 month cruise while they were doing 14 month deployments. Same Admiral mentioned number of bombs dropped and number of hamburgers cooked in the same same sentence about our successful deployment. The guy cared more about metrics, his pride, and his career, then about the people spending months away from family and risking their lives. Unfortunately since the wars are limited in nature, the ethos of leaders is CYA, don't take any risk, and create metrics for your career advancement on the backs of the sailors in the fleet. There are some really good people who make O6 and above, but they are pretty few and far between.

Advice to Management

8 month cruises. Back to back deployments. Augment Tours. Surge Readiness. Just because the Army was stupid enough to destroy itself with never ending 14 month tours doesn't mean the Navy should be stupid too. Was a 2.0 presence really necessary in the Gulf. Everything is breaking down to overuse and there is no money to fix it. Like a great CO said, one generation of Admiral's builds their careers breaking the Navy, the next builds their careers fixing it. It's time for the next generation. Do less with less. Get the contractors under control. Have the integrity to retire once you are done and don't delude yourself that the defense contractor wants you because of your knowledge and not your Rolodex. Maybe then the services will stop getting such overpriced crap.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best place to acquire professional and operational skills.

Current Employee - Systems Administrator
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Navy provides everyone with the best opportunities.

Cons

Working with unprofessional and irrational people is sometimes very difficult.

Advice to Management

I wish the Navy has a better system for promotion and advancement in the military. From personal experience, it seems like some undeserving individuals are getting promoted because of inflated evaluations and awards.

2. I am Retired!

Former Employee - Aviation Ordnanceman in Lemoore, CA
    Former Employee - Aviation Ordnanceman in Lemoore, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Guaranteed pay and benefits. Structured and good training! Good travel.

Cons

Lots of time away from home. Holidays missed. Birthdays Missed. Family emergencies missed.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!