US Navy

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

20 year Veteran

Current Employee - Senior Enlisted in Norfolk, VA
Current Employee - Senior Enlisted in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, Advancement Opportunity, Good Healthcare, 4 weeks paid vacation, Tuition assistance, Variety of job opportunities, Pay twice per month, 2 Free beers after 45 days at sea, Port visits around the world

Cons

Long deployments while on sea duty, Long working hours while on sea duty, tuition assistance available but unusable while on sea duty. Long separation from families, Port visits not as common as they once were.

Sort out the force size vs. mission requirements issue to reduce deployment length.

4111 Other Employee Reviews for US Navy (View Most Recent)

I have learned about how the world operates and how we can use that knowlege to protect the homefront.

Current Employee - Intelligence Specialist in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Intelligence Specialist in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

The money is decent and some of the benifits are great.

Cons

The long ours and time away from the family frequently.

Worse than High School

Current Employee - Undesignated Sailor in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Undesignated Sailor in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All organizational values are available online and on printed material. Free medical, dental, housing for spouse and children, and work-related travel expenses. Trust me, the navy will train- the quality of the training will vary. In my own experience, none of the training wasn't very standardized nor were most of them were properly executed.

Cons

Too many cons I don't know where to start.
    You are there at the needs of the navy-That means the navy will use, abuse, and exploit you how ever they want. Sexual harassment and bullying are supposed to be "routed" through immediate chain of command- That means an E-3 sailor (basic level) must submit his grievance to immediate superior (an E-4, then E-5, and so-on) before he can escalate the problem to someone who can do something about the issue.There is virtually no HR to report to. You will not be treated like a human being. Everyone is expendable to the navy. Too much time, money, and resource are wasted everyday. Free time does not exist. You will never have balance between work, family, and personal life. If you are mildly smart, prepared to get extra (negative) attention. Supervisors can make up non-sense excuses to send sailors to captian's mast (navy court). Guile and Cutthroat permeates through the air of the work place.

I really have advice to give to this organization.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy