There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Served for 20 years now I have unique experiences I will carry for my whole life

Former Employee - Navy Nuclear Electrician in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Navy Nuclear Electrician in Norfolk, VA

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Continuously challenges you to adapt. Travel opportunities are outstanding - I have seen places my friends have only seen movies about. Provides a unique opportunity to establish your own world view. Pay is excellent and commensurate with how hard the job is. Good and improving support structure for the families of deployed personnel.

Cons

Leadership challenges - as with any other corporate environment, the leadership quality varies widely. Family separation - if you are not ready for it don't take this job. The largest problem by far is the fact that the military is NOT a corporation - the government is not a business and does not generate profit. The Congress is attempting to make the military act as a corporation - this is killing the services.

Advice to Management

The military is not a business - stop trying to make it one.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Challenging lifestyle, but rewarding work environment

Former Employee - Division Officer in Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Division Officer in Bremerton, WA

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- If you apply yourself, it is easy to make a difference at all levels of the organization - Great upward mobility - Excellent pay and benefits

Cons

- Challenging lifestyle due to frequent / extended time at sea - Deployments and surges may come at inopportune times due to unpredictable world events. Family commitments are often at odds with the job

2. 20 Year retirement as E6 22K in 2014

Current Employee - E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, First Class in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - E6 - Navy - Petty Officer, First Class in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Do different jobs all the time that require critical thinking and keeps you on your toes. Lots of schooling and the opportunity to change jobs every three years (after the first 5 years)

Cons

Away from home a lot. Hostile work environment (when deployed). Live out of a suitcase. Very structured and intrusive leadership. Very little privacy. You don't get treated like an adult when visiting different ports, you have a curfew and/or are required to have a "buddy" when away from the ship away from home port.

Advice to Management

Work-life balance is far tipped in the favor of work due to duty days (stay at work for 24 hours period every 6 days when in home port) consider hiring private security when ship is in home port.