There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Served for 20 years now I have unique experiences I will carry for my whole life

Former Employee - Navy Nuclear Electrician in Norfolk, VA
Former Employee - Navy Nuclear Electrician in Norfolk, VA

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Continuously challenges you to adapt. Travel opportunities are outstanding - I have seen places my friends have only seen movies about. Provides a unique opportunity to establish your own world view. Pay is excellent and commensurate with how hard the job is. Good and improving support structure for the families of deployed personnel.

Cons

Leadership challenges - as with any other corporate environment, the leadership quality varies widely. Family separation - if you are not ready for it don't take this job. The largest problem by far is the fact that the military is NOT a corporation - the government is not a business and does not generate profit. The Congress is attempting to make the military act as a corporation - this is killing the services.

Advice to Management

The military is not a business - stop trying to make it one.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Fantastic place to make a global impact.

Current Contractor - Aviation Electronics Technician in Norfolk, VA
    Current Contractor - Aviation Electronics Technician in Norfolk, VA

I have been working at US Navy as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great responsibilities for those willing to take them on and actually make a difference in their lives and on a global stage. Travel to foreign countries with opportunities for tours in them such as Japan, Italy, Australia, and Arab countries.

Cons

Needs of the Navy, bottom line. Deployments are long and grueling at times and work is never done. Senior leadership can and will always find something for you to do if you don't.

Advice to Management

Sometimes, "that's the way we have always done it" is not the way to do it. Sometimes, the Junior personnel do really have some great ideas about getting tasks done. There will be times when gruff and stern are necessary. 24/7 is not the time.

2. Career Navy.

Former Employee - U S Navy in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - U S Navy in San Diego, CA

I worked at US Navy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits really can't be beat. One cannot simply look at base pay. Must consider medical, room and board, health, life insurance, military educational benefits. Travel and see the world (really!).

Cons

Worldwide assignable. Some would look a this as an advantage also.
    Some instances of little anonymity.