There are newer employer reviews for US Navy

Great training, a lot of good diversity but the processes are horrible and re-work slows up everything.

Current Employee - Hospital Corpsman in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Hospital Corpsman in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits when you consider housing and food allowances are pretty good. The education benefits (Tuition Assistance and GI Bill) are incredible, only if you actually pursue them. You could retire at 38 and have a whole other career if you start early. Very few see combat if that is your worry.

Cons

You have to put up with a constant barrage of bad processes and inconsistent leadership that changes with the wind. "It is what it is" and "Semper Gumby" have become excuses for tolerating things that would get people in the civilian world fired.

Allow some re-engineering of your processes at all levels by the people who actually run those processes. Listeneing to your commanders on the ground applies to all levels, sea, and ashore.

reviews filtered by
  1. Outstanding

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at US Navy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Serve you country work with great people

Cons

Away from home to much

2. A learning experience that I will never forget and couldn't have received anywhere else.

Former Employee - Hospital Corpsman in Great Lakes, IL
    Former Employee - Hospital Corpsman in Great Lakes, IL

I worked at US Navy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

steady pay that is very decent depending on your marital status and/or family size, just about the best health benefits period, base housing in Great Lakes IL was really nice, I learned so many work skills and a lot of skills that are still beneficial to me several years later. I still think about the Navy just about every day of my life, whether for good or bad.

Cons

no set hours, your needs really don't matter, and if you aren't one for change or don't adapt easily - then it is definitely not the type of organization to get into.

There are some individuals that can follow directions naturally from the moment they step out of the van and into the doors of boot camp. The yelling isn't necessary and didn't serve a purpose.

There are newer employer reviews for US Navy