There are newer employer reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Great compensation and benefits, but little or no social interaction.

Former Employee - Patent Examiner  in  Alexandria, VA
Former Employee - Patent Examiner in Alexandria, VA

I worked at US Patent and Trademark Office

Pros

Compensation
Benefits
Technology support
Flexibility
New office facilities
Excellent exercise facilities

Cons

No social interaction
Mundane work
No continuing education
No tuition reimbursement

Need to provide more time for patent review, reduce quota system

142 Other Employee Reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office (View Most Recent)

it's a bit slow and there's never anyone around the office...kinda boring...slow work

Current Employee - Program Analyst  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office

Pros

benefit of govt employment is good. however, they haven't come through with helping my continuing education and the work is only ok...

Cons

most people work at home. that's great for them...but some like to come into the office to others...just isn't the place for that

they need to plan better. things need to have a true benefit...don't just put something on the schedule...funding it with millions of dollars...when it really results in minor, if any, improvement.

Hard work, but great benefits

Current Employee - Patent Examiner  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Patent Examiner in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office

Pros

I am currently working from home, spending more time with my wife, two kids (soon to be three), and 0 miles of commute. It took me about 4 years to get to this point (could be faster). In terms of work, you get to research some interesting subject matter. This is a great long term position or a next step to become a patent attorney. I have a great supervisor who I am able to work with and provides valuable insight.

Cons

I came in with a group of other new hires, of those who were in my class, about half already left, the rest, half are working from home and only a handful remain in the office. It is a very solitary job that requires a lot of reading and analytical thinking. If you don't like solitary confinement, then this job probably isn't for you.

Provide examiners with more flexibility in terms of growth. Perhaps allocate money for further education, ie. masters/law school. Provide examiners with more training when necessary.

There are newer employer reviews for US Patent and Trademark Office

Worked for US Patent and Trademark Office? Contribute to the Community!