US Patent and Trademark Office

www.uspto.gov

Great benefits, including flexible schedule. But stressful.

Patent Examiner (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsFlexible schedule. Good pay with opportunity to increase salary rapidly. Great atmosphere. Relaxed dress code. Overtime usually available. Lots of resources to help with job.

ConsYour work is based on production, and you are rated quarterly. If you have trouble making production, this will be a stressful job for you. You will be working late nights, weekends, and holidays to try to keep up. If you are one of those people who can get a case done in 6 hours, then you'll love this job. If it takes you a while to complete a case, the production will kill you because you'll be puitting in way more than 40 hours per week, with no compensation. Also, your supervisor will m,ake or break you. Mine was very difficult and I spent way more time on cases than I needed to because his standards were so high. Most supervisors are very easy-going and that makes getting cases done alot easier.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure SPEs are fair. If an examiner has trouble getting cases through his/her SPE, he should have the option of getting a secondary review from another primary or SPE.

Good place to work if you have a family

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good work life balance Good for parents Laid-back environment Cons: Leadership isn't top notch. Promotion opportunities seem political Advice to Senior Management: Tap in to your talent more Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Work Experince

Patent Examiner (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

I worked at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time for more than a year

Pros: potential to grow quickly both level wise and financially Cons: a total sweatshop!!! Involuntary overtime is a must to… Advice to Senior Management: Hire people and keep them. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on US Patent and Trademark Office.

Worked for US Patent and Trademark Office? Contribute to the Community!