US Patent and Trademark Office
www.uspto.gov Alexandria, VA 5000+ Employees

A very different type of job

Junior Patent Examiner (Former Employee)

I worked at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time for more than a year

ProsVery Flexible, you have a lot of flexibility to not live your life consumed by your job. Once you get into a rhythm of a positive work habits, its a job where you can feel like your own boss.

ConsVery isolated. Not much interaction with other examiners. The higher the grade level the more work you are expected to produce which can lead to greater stress and anxiety. I have used the term "intellectual sweatshop" which gives a vivid idea of the production requirements they expect from you. But its all about maintaining good production work habits.
Some supervisors are very old school in their methods and will frustrate you to no end with their nit picking, while others understand that it is a production based job and there is not enough time to cross ever T and dot ever I.
If you get stuck with a crappy SPE (Supervisory Patent Examiner) your pretty much doomed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive new examiners more information and awareness of their options in their working environment (Art Units). Create a 360 degree of review such that as supervisors review the progress of new hires, new hires are able to review the ability of the supervisor since until one becomes a SPE or a Primary Examiner, they are at the will of the SPE.

Great benefits, including flexible schedule. But stressful.

Patent Examiner (Current Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Flexible schedule. Good pay with opportunity to increase salary rapidly. Great atmosphere. … Cons: Your work is based on production, and you are rated quarterly. If you have trouble making production, this will be a stressful job for… Advice to Senior Management: Ensure SPEs are fair. If an examiner has trouble getting cases through his/her SPE,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

overall good experience

Extern (Current Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office as an intern for less than a year

Pros: flexible- Can decide your work hours. There is more emphasis… Cons: stressful - Since it is a production based job there is great emphasis on getting your work done in a timely manner. But this… Advice to Senior Management: Help new examiners deal with the steep learning curve at the start of their jobs by… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on US Patent and Trademark Office.

Worked for US Patent and Trademark Office? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Patent and Trademark Office reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Patent and Trademark Office CEO Teresa Stanek Rea. All reviews posted anonymously by US Patent and Trademark Office employees.