US Patent and Trademark Office
www.uspto.gov Alexandria, VA 5000+ Employees

IT Area Needs Work

Info Tech Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office

ProsFlexible work hours. 1-day telecommute. Good benefits. Good salaries. Don't have to be too senior to get your own office.

ConsIronically, IT group is very behind on technology and lacks vision. Consultants do most technical work, not employees. Depending on the office and manager, can even be tough for employee interested in doing tech work to stay technical. Lots of poor management practices among first-line managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that IT employees maintain technical skills and a much larger percentage do actual IT work, not just contract oversight. Identify attributes of good management and ensure that manager performance ratings are judged based on them. Hire IT people at more junior levels to ensure that younger people with fresher ideas are brought into agency.

Patent Examiner

I have been working at US Patent and Trademark Office

Pros: - Flexible schedule - Good benefits - Decent salary Cons: - The work is boring and tedious - The workload can… Advice to Senior Management: There is not enough of a focus on the numbers. Management should focus… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

USPTO Review

Patent Examiner (Former Employee)

I worked at US Patent and Trademark Office

Pros: The benefits and time-off are unparalleled. Cons: The ceiling is very low in terms of salary and… Advice to Senior Management: Offer more in depth review of the work product. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on US Patent and Trademark Office.

Worked for US Patent and Trademark Office? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at US Patent and Trademark Office reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for US Patent and Trademark Office CEO Teresa Stanek Rea. All reviews posted anonymously by US Patent and Trademark Office employees.