There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service

Great Employer but with current financial problems

Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Treat employees with respect, diverse workforce, good pay and great benefits, defined retirement plan, opportunities for advancement, listen to suggestions

Cons

Bad financial position at the current time. Post offices are closing, salaries are being frozen, some jobs are being eliminated

Advice to Management

Managers are doing a great job keeping the workforce informed about the current situation and what is being done to help move the USPS forward.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The worst working environment I've ever had.

Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Birmingham, AL

I worked at US Postal Service

Pros

The pay was pretty decent.
    I was able to lose a lot of weight by doing walking routes all summer, so that was pretty cool.

Cons

Management is a joke. They are the precise picture of everything you never want to work for. Management through intimidation is a big thing. Constantly adding more work to the people who work harder and taking more work from those who don't work as hard, which leads to employee frustration, as it is absolutely impossible to schedule anything after work Monday-Saturday. Constantly pushing the harder workers to go harder, go faster, while simultaneously letting the grumpy, lazy workers have a free ride. Managers who have never actually performed the job for which they are assigned to manage.
    Added to this, the constant fear of not having a job, as the USPS is not in very good shape financially.
    The incredible bureaucracy of the United States Postal Service makes everything at least twice as hard as it needs to be. But then, I guess that's the government.

Advice to Management

Treat your good employees with respect, allow your hard workers to take a full weekend regularly, or at least have two days off regularly. Listen to the carriers about how the mail is delivered. If you haven't done the job before, don't carry a clipboard and act like you know how everything is done. You don't.

Paid well for work but not compensated for added stress applied unqualified Management

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Cumberland, MD
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Cumberland, MD

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

You are providing a service to those in your community. The work itself is rewarding and challenging at times even though it is not constant or overburdening. I am pretty much a first responder to any malfunctions that occur while the machine is running. I do some planned maintenance while the machines are idol.

Cons

The company's management is is most of the problem. Very few of them are aware of all that is going on. Most attained their positions due to their lack of performance as a worker or nepotism. They receive bonuses and pay for performance that not of their own doing or knowledge. Many in management really do not know what their subordinates do for 8+ hours a day. Maintenance mangers seldom understand how the machines work and only respond to red highlights around running parameters. When ask by a subordinate how they want something fixed, the manager usually barks " I don't know, just fix it!!"

Advice to Management

Learn what your people do. Learn what the numbers mean. Learn how the different types of mail affects the machines and the numbers you so severely cherish. Do not be afraid to have subordinates how may know more than you. Stop asking us and those between us and you "How long is it going to take to fix????", unless you want us to stop fixing and spend 20-30 minutes discussing our theories on why and how the problem happened and how you asking us every 20 seconds not only delays up but tends to destroy our thought process so we have to go over the same mental processes again and again.