US Postal Service

www.usps.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service

USPS a good place to work but it has it's issues, like any other place.

Current Employee - Postmaster in Worcester, MA
Current Employee - Postmaster in Worcester, MA

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

There is very good job security. There is very good opportunity for advancement for those wishing to advance their carriers. The USPS promotes from within.

Cons

There is allot of bureaucracy and allot of micro-management. The USPS being a semi government agency really hurts its ability to take the necessary cost cutting measures in bad economic times like we are in now, for example if the USPS wants to shut down a small Post Office, located in the same town as two other post offices, which makes no money, some congressman can interfere and stop the closure. The same congress that said the USPS cant shut down a small PO will then demand that the USPS do everything possible to cut costs. The publics perception that the USPS is wasting taxpayer money is totally incorrect as well, the USPS receives no taxpayer money for regular operations.

There are too many layers of management, I do not see a need for both a district level and area level. The result of what I consider to be an extra level is that the area level micro manages the district level and it all starts to flow down hill, causing useless reports and time wasting programs that the area level feels are a good idea because they are too far removed from daily operations and can't see the impact on the front lines.

1555 Other Employee Reviews for US Postal Service (View Most Recent)

A great job in a small town. (approx. population 30000)

Current Employee - City Carrier in Nacogdoches, TX
    Current Employee - City Carrier in Nacogdoches, TX

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

My job gives me the feeling of being a part of the community. I get to know a bunch of people in my town.
    My co-workers are like a second family because we spend so much time together. The security of the job is a plus in this economy. The benefits are good. 4 weeks of vacation, sick leave can be accumulated throughout your career.

Cons

9 Saturdays off per year

Please realize employees have families and should be our first priority.

U.S. Postal Service, trying to implement perfect principles into an imperfect system

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at US Postal Service

Pros

Salaries and benefits are comparible to other professionals in the job market without having a higher education. Also, the opportunity for upper mobility and promotion is right at your fingertips if you are willing to take the time to go after it. These are some of the reasons why business professional with college degrees find themselves seeking job opportunities within the organization.

Cons

Some of the ways things are done. Senior management knowing that there are glitches in several of our programs within our systems, yet they are willing to issue disciplinary or corrective action to an employee without just cause.

To ensure promotion is based on work performance, integrity and commitment to the organization and not based on "who you know". Ensure there is equal opportunity across the board.

There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service