City Letter Carrier

Current Employee - City Carrier in Jacksonville, FL
Current Employee - City Carrier in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work outdoors with no supervisors around. Stay fit by walking. Great pay and benefits. The NALC. Meet lots of people. Can move to different work assignments within the company. Most of the people who come to work, that do work.

Cons

Bad weather, The NALC, Sore and tired from walking all day. Physical issues, especially with feet, knee, and back. Minimum room for advancement, The few employees who come to work, to get out of work.

Advice to Management

Do route evaluations as outlined in the manuals. (For those who don't). Don't inhibit me from doing my job. Most importantly Customer Satisfaction. If I an\m a few minutes late because I was assisting a customer, it will pay off in the long run....

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

TE City Carrier-Oklahoma City

Former Employee - TE City Carrier in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - TE City Carrier in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at US Postal Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay $22.15/HR, lots of hours available, ability to earn over $50K/ Year, I lost 10 lbs almost immediately. I have the utmost respect for the union (NALC) as they were very helpful even before I was hired. Also, most of the management and union employees were excellent.

Cons

Bitten by a pit bull in my first 2 weeks, time off recuperating was unpaid. Worked in dangerous neighborhoods, loaned to other post offices to walk new routes. Expectation was you would meet the required time to complete the route the first time you walked it, basically you had to run/power walk the entire route of up to 10 or more miles a day. I was fired before my 90 day probation was up because I wasn't fast enough usually running over my alloted time by 30 or more minutes. Pretty good for a 59 year old.

Advice to Management

The expectations are unreasonable and inflexible. Make some allowance for older employees who physically struggle to meet the expectations. Local management in Oklahoma City that I worked under were fair and just.

U.S. Postal ServiceCity Carrier Assistant

Current Employee - City Carrier Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - City Carrier Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The job itself is a great job. I love my customers. Pay is good.

Cons

Non career position. Uncertain future. Managment is hostile to non career employees. Avg 58 hours a week 6 days a week. Get paid for vacation but are not allowed to take it. Request for days off for wedding, funerals, and medical appoints are frequently denied.

Advice to Management

Put you money where your mouth is and you take a 1/3 pay cut.