There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service

Good Pay, but not for long

Current Employee - Transitional Employee - Letter Carrier in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Transitional Employee - Letter Carrier in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, steady work, outdoor work, fun driving mail truck, good benefits after a year if a non career employee great medical benefits

Cons

no stability, lowered pay for Transitional employees work 6 days a week, never know what time you will be called in if you are a TE Letter Carrier Unstability in the USPS as a whole...was a good stable place at one time, but I think that time is now over....sad to say

Advice to Management

pay attention to the newbies and stop protecting the oldies

Other Employee Reviews for US Postal Service

Current RCA

Current Employee - Rca in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Rca in Rochester, NY

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good hourly rate and I like the other carriers, as they are helpful.

Cons

I have only been here for a year but I am really surprised at how poorly run this company is. First off they really have terrible HR skills. I have been here a year and I have not once heard nice job or thanks for picking up the route. I know thats my job but you would think that a postmaster who has been a part of this company over 30 years would have at least have a clue on how to treat employees. In the beginning it was tough, as it is for everyone, and she was all over me with criticism. I have since improved a huge amount and I have stepped up in the pinch and I have come to the realization that they really dont care. They just want the mail and packages delivered with no mistakes. God forbid you miss a scan! Thats another thing-we hear it if we miss one, but we can go weeks with no misses and you never hear nice job. A little positive reinforcement would really be nice. And to try to become a career employee... I have several co workers who worked 12 and 18 years to get career!!! Its wrong that they had to wait that long. Nobody should have to wait that long.

Advice to Management

Learn how to really use positive reinforcement with employees. I see you talk about it in your Eastern update magazine but certainly dont see it in our office. I was previously a GM for a restaurant and I have WAY MORE interpersonal skills than your postmasters in my area. We treated our employees like assets because they were the most important asset.

Horrible!!

Current Employee - Transitional Employee - Letter Carrier
    Current Employee - Transitional Employee - Letter Carrier

I have been working at US Postal Service full-time

Pros

The only pro was that the money was half decent. But that's going away as well.

Cons

New pay rates, Management is horrible, Do double the work of regular carriers with less pay, no benefits and no days off. You get to watch current regular employees leave early everyday while you get sent back out to finish there routes. Pray you never have an emergency or need a day off. If you do chances are they will look at you like your stupid and tell you that your expendable.

Advice to Management

Start looking for new jobs because I don't see the post office being around five years from now.