US Postal Service

www.usps.com

Probably OK if you can make career status.

Current Employee - PSE Data Conversion Operator  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - PSE Data Conversion Operator in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

The pay is pretty good for the type of work done, at least to start out. I'm not sure about how it compares 10 years down the road. And you know that you are part of bringing people some happiness through letters, postcards or magazines and keeping communities alive with newspapers, voting materials, and even bills.

Cons

You have to start out as a non-career Postal Support Employee, or PSE, and depending on your installation they can be treated pretty badly. I don't have it too bad where I am but we still have to put up with things like being forced out or made to work late with no notice. Pretty much everybody I know has been called to overtime with less than ten minutes until their scheduled end tour. And there's no way to know how long it will take to make career status.

Other reviews for US Postal Service

Still Proud of What I Do

Current Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - CITY LETTER CARRIER in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Once career- Great pay, benefits

Cons

Pre-funding & endless petty and/or downright untrue and fraudulent grievances - the USPS will never be the same as the company I so proudly swore my integrity and dedication to at 19. Keeping up with the times has meant technological changes/advances, and the shifting of employees from obsolete to new and relevant operations.

Keep moving towards the practice of managing USPS as a business first, coddling Union contract exploiters and abuser only as a last resort.

Stressful, horrific workloads, management is inept and rude.

Former Employee - CCA  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - CCA in Portland, OR

Pros

decent pay for an entry-level position, work outside

Cons

long hours, very few days off other than Sunday, unrealistic expectations from management, differential treatment from career employees (for the same job!)

Rather than continuing to throw money down a hole by hiring CCAs that will only last a couple of months, maybe they should investigate the abuses and injustices CCAs are forced to put up with from management. Maybe if management could act like human beings, you'd find people willing to stick around.

There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service.

Worked for US Postal Service? Contribute to the Community!