There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service

Probably OK if you can make career status.

Current Employee - PSE Data Conversion Operator in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - PSE Data Conversion Operator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at US Postal Service (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for the type of work done, at least to start out. I'm not sure about how it compares 10 years down the road. And you know that you are part of bringing people some happiness through letters, postcards or magazines and keeping communities alive with newspapers, voting materials, and even bills.

Cons

You have to start out as a non-career Postal Support Employee, or PSE, and depending on your installation they can be treated pretty badly. I don't have it too bad where I am but we still have to put up with things like being forced out or made to work late with no notice. Pretty much everybody I know has been called to overtime with less than ten minutes until their scheduled end tour. And there's no way to know how long it will take to make career status.

1261 Other Employee Reviews for US Postal Service (View Most Recent)

Lack of job stability as USPS continues to cut expenses

Current Employee - PMr in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - PMr in Reno, NV

I have been working at US Postal Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a job!
    Good starting pay.
    Federal employment.

Cons

Hours have been cut in half as USPS restructures its facilities.
    No real job security.
    No benefits except paycheck.
    USPS is behind the times with its technology being outdated and obviously doesn't have the funds to change this.
    Upper management is experiencing high turnover as closings and reductions take place.
    At some point in the future Congress is going to intervene in the USPS operating budget with subsidies. The USPS appears to be on a downward spiral.

Be honest with employees.
    Share information with employees instead of letting us hear it through media.

Busy Facility so guaranteed 40 hrs

Current Employee - MHA (Mail Handler Assistant ) in Forest Park, IL
    Current Employee - MHA (Mail Handler Assistant ) in Forest Park, IL

I have been working at US Postal Service as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for 20 yr old kid without a college degree. (No kids helps a lot too)
    Stress Free (Mentally)
    MHA position

Cons

Will physically tear you apart. My first week I thought I had developed a chronic back disorder, turns out I was just working some new muscles which caused some pain and tightness.
    No other cons really, managers leave you alone if you do your job some people just like to complain a lot about nothing. (Like overtime which we were told about at the interview.)

5 day work weeks please -__- . 6 days a week is ridiculous especially if you expect us not to call off. The 360 day term is kind of a downer but hey business is business I guess

There are newer employer reviews for US Postal Service