USA for Unhcr

www.unrefugees.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for USA for Unhcr

A lot a canvassing, which isn't fun, but pay and benefits are good.

I worked at USA for Unhcr full-time

Pros

Fun team to work with, supportive and have sense of humor. The pay is better than what most fundraising organizations give and the new management at the DC office was particularly caring of employees.

Cons

Fundraising in harsh conditions such as staying outside in freezing cold and scorching heat for 6 hours a day (except for a lunch and other shorter breaks). Strict quotas, the main thing employees complained about was lack of job security, the stress motivated people to always be looking for other jobs.

Maybe make it more commission based, instead of tight quotas, to prevent losses and too much stress for employees. Worrying about losing team leader position or the job entirely makes it hard to be upbeat and positive while fundraising.

26 Other Employee Reviews for USA for Unhcr (View Most Recent)

They is so much pressure to meet target for donations

Former Employee - Face-to-Face Fundraiser in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Face-to-Face Fundraiser in Washington, DC

I worked at USA for Unhcr part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people around I met were fun.

Cons

Working in inclement weather for 8 hours and the turn over rate is so high

Increase incentive for your fundraiser as it a hard job.

Your hard work pays off, I PROMISE

Current Employee - FACE to FACE FUNDRAISER in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - FACE to FACE FUNDRAISER in San Diego, CA

I have been working at USA for Unhcr part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been a fundraiser for the San Diego office for just about a year now. I would like to first start off by saying that I am a firm believer in the mission, goals, and ability of this organization. If I didn't feel this way, I would never have stayed on as long as I have. There are plenty of other canvassing jobs that I could take, but the truth of the matter is that if I am going to fundraise for an organization, this is the one I pick. Once you understand the ins and outs of not just USA for UNHCR, but also UNHCR in general, every other canvass job pails in comparison.

I have met some of my very best friends in San Diego through this job. I'm not kidding! To be successful, you have to be an outgoing and energetic person. With that being said, this job is just not made for a lot of people. For those out there complaining about the high turn over rate, there is a simple answer. Everyone will say "yes" to job requirements when they are interviewing for the job. It is made very explicit in the interview process what this job actually entails, so those that are complaining about it should probably have listened more intently in the interview. I agree with the review from a Los Angeles staff member when I say that our staff members work hard and play together. Even on our days off, you can find some, if not all, staff members hanging out, grabbing dinner/drinks together, or just enjoying each others company.

The city coordinator of San Diego is probably the most wonderful woman I have ever encountered in my years of work and study. She is very loving and caring to every single person that comes into the office. She does not have a negative bone in her body, she will motivate you until you are almost sick of it, and never gives up on anyone. I will say that there were some issue in the past maybe six months or so with another city coordinator, but as of the holidays, that person has been let go from the organization. I couldn't be more happy about this since the negative energy and poor work ethic he demonstrated took a serious toll on the office moral. Since his departure, this office has been nothing but productive, bringing on and training a great group of motivated and hard-working individuals to keep the office performing well.

I look at it as a plus that the job entails standing for a few hours at a time. There is my daily exercise right there!

Yes, the job does have specific weekly goals that need to be met, but the best part is that my entire paycheck depends on my personal work ethic. A bonus is given depending on the signup amount so the better I am at the job, the better my paycheck looks.

Without a doubt, the best part of this job is the experiences that have come from talking to dozens of individuals every day. Being that San Diego houses the largest population of refugees in the country, I've encountered people from literally all parts of the globe. The stories of the horrors of their lives and how an organization like (or many times the actual organization) UNHCR have done for their families are what keep me motivated throughout the day.

I have been able to travel to 4 of the 5 offices around the US because of this organization. I love to travel so that's a MAJOR plus for me. Working with the fundraisers and TLs in the other offices is super motivating because it allows you to learn different techniques, tactics, and ways to approach the job.

Cons

Yes, this is a fundraising job. With that comes weekly goals that need to be met. In all honesty, these are not difficult goals to meet. Those that don't make the cut claim that the numbers are impossible to meet, but it's really just because those individuals didn't have the knowledge, work ethic, or the personal drive to make it work. If I can do it, anyone can, just depends on how much you are willing to put yourself out there.

Rejection is a natural part of this job as well. If you are not comfortable with that, don't apply. It's really hard to get told "no" and get looked at like you are personally offending the people walking past you. But at a certain point, each fundraiser has to realize that the rejection isn't personal and some people truthfully don't care at all about what you are doing. In that case, you need to just simply move onto the next person, cause trust me, people that do care enough to help are out there.

Lets also keep in mind that this is a relatively young organization and that with any organization there are kinks that need to be worked out. I have personally seen the organization's staff working out those kinks so I have every faith USA for UNHCR will become a household name in the face to face fundraising world very soon.

Continue the faith in those staff members that have been around for a while. Making it known to the new guys that the national staff is there to support them, as well as our individual office staff, is clutch in securing lasting fundraisers.

There are newer employer reviews for USA for Unhcr