USAA

Great Company, Low Pay

Former Employee - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - IT Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA

Pros

Great atmosphere.
Great benefits.
Two gyms, several restaurants, and Many other amenities .
You can feel proud to work for such a reputable company.

Cons

LOW pay... My offer (in 2010 for an IT entry level position) was $48,000. Elsewhere, my offer was upward of $60,000.
If have not previously been in the military, moving up through management is nearly imposible.

The IT department is very unorganized. I think due to the low pay, the employees are not as efficient and ambitious.

863 Other Employee Reviews for USAA (View Most Recent)

Good

Current Employee - Mortgage Processor III in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Mortgage Processor III in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA

Pros

Location of USAA to my home and opportunity.

Cons

Uptight and I hear they get rid of the older employees. I have not experienced this myself though.

The dress code could be a little less strict for those that don't see customers face to face.

Better pay at other companies for same work.

Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist III in Tampa Palms, FL
    Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist III in Tampa Palms, FL

I worked at USAA

Pros

Benefits and onsite facilities are great.

Cons

Was told this is a sales positions, no incentive for sales and lousy pay. If hired you go through one week of new employee orientation. Second week you are put through Insurance School (300+ pages condensed into 30 over one week). The third week you spend in a 2 week class on how to answer the phone. You are then scheduled by the licensing department to take your state exam to become licensed. If you don't pass on the third time you are fired. During my training class 6 people jumped ship because of test. All of my family is former military and does not remember USAA doing business their current way. It's all about sales with no compensation and constant monitoring of everything. I work at a bank and make double what I did at USAA for the same job with less stress. Was told I would be working in the Tampa Campus and then after the 4th week was told we were going to the Sabel Park Office, trip time from Tampa Campus, 1 hour and 35 minutes one way! Stress of job and constant fear of upper management not worth the time or pay. USAA's way of doing business if very odd and it comes across to the members. Nothing is consistent with the call center. THINK LONG AND HARD BEFORE ACCEPTING POSITION. They will hire anybody who they think will be whipped and not speak.

Rethink way of doing business and compensating employees. Onsite facilities and benefits are great, but if your not happy and feel you are making a difference it's not worth it.

There are newer employer reviews for USAA