There are newer employer reviews for USAA

You get what you give and have to work your way up

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA

Pros

401K matching
Benefits packages
Flexible work schedule
Education benefits
Job advancement or job change availability

Cons

Time off based on seniority instead of job performance

Advice to Management

The company strives to take care of their employees, and since you are the first person that the employee sees you should emulate this. I believe that my CEO does care about me and promotes work/life balance, but it is sometimes hard to believe the lower management beeves in this as well. Remember what the company strives to stand for and remember rested employees work harder.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Better pay at other companies for same work.

Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist III in Tampa Palms, FL
    Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist III in Tampa Palms, FL

I worked at USAA

Pros

Benefits and onsite facilities are great.

Cons

Was told this is a sales positions, no incentive for sales and lousy pay. If hired you go through one week of new employee orientation. Second week you are put through Insurance School (300+ pages condensed into 30 over one week). The third week you spend in a 2 week class on how to answer the phone. You are then scheduled by the licensing department to take your state exam to become licensed. If you don't pass on the third time you are fired. During my training class 6 people jumped ship because of test. All of my family is former military and does not remember USAA doing business their current way. It's all about sales with no compensation and constant monitoring of everything. I work at a bank and make double what I did at USAA for the same job with less stress. Was told I would be working in the Tampa Campus and then after the 4th week was told we were going to the Sabel Park Office, trip time from Tampa Campus, 1 hour and 35 minutes one way! Stress of job and constant fear of upper management not worth the time or pay. USAA's way of doing business if very odd and it comes across to the members. Nothing is consistent with the call center. THINK LONG AND HARD BEFORE ACCEPTING POSITION. They will hire anybody who they think will be whipped and not speak.

Advice to Management

Rethink way of doing business and compensating employees. Onsite facilities and benefits are great, but if your not happy and feel you are making a difference it's not worth it.

Treated with an astounding lack of respect from management and middle management.

Former Employee - Software Quality Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Software Quality Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA

Pros

The 8% match of the 401k is the best thing.

Cons

Highly unethical managers and middle managers.

Advice to Management

I would get rid of about half of the managers since they are incompetent.