USAA
www.usaa.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Exhausting

Auto Adjuster (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are nice, pay was good for entry-level

ConsHeavily monitored and micromanaged call center. It doesn't matter if you're a claim adjuster, policy writer, bank employee, etc., you are expected to make sales and "deepen the relationship". Each day's schedule is made out for you, including when you take your breaks and lunch and how long you have. Every deviation from the planned schedule, even if going to the bathroom, is counted as "out of adherence". Falling out of a certain allowable range will result in a reprimand, and if continual and frequent will lead to corrective actions. You barely know the people you work in close proximity to because you are on the phone constantly, and once home for the night or on the weekends you may find yourself with little energy to do anything else other than dread the next work day. Benefits are nice only because management knows it's the only thing keeping employees there. Also, little opportunity for advancement from an entry-level, customer-facing position; most upper positions are filled with people who applied with prior experience at other companies. You are expected to take outside education courses while at home and not participating is frowned upon, with the result being your entire life become centered around your work. Nearly every employee I talked to was either actively looking for new work, planning on doing so, or stuck reluctantly at the company for financial or other reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what made USAA special in the first place: the lack of a desire to be a major player in the financial services and insurance industry in favor of outstanding service and commitment to a great work environment. USAA decided they wanted to become another run-of-the-mill insurance/banking company but lacks the infrastructure for such a move. Rather than race towards goals, you should carefully select them and gradually move towards them.

Awful Place to Work

MSR II (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Good benefits Bonuses Cafe Services Company Store Insurance benefits Money Different Campuses Discounts Cons: Terrible if on the phones. End up depressed and miserable. Will have a therapist… Advice to Senior Management: Manage better No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Bad Work Environment

SE I (Current Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good benefits. Flexible work hours. Cons: work in fear of loosing job. Managers will treat you like… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on USAA.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USAA CEO Joe Robles Jr. All reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees.