There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Good and Bad, but more good

Current Employee - Compliance  in  San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Compliance in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company's mission of serving military personnel and their families is admirable and carried out very well by the senior leadership team. The company really cares about their employees and provides great benefits to maintain a low employee turnover. Annual Bonus, Christmas Bonus, far more paid vacation days than almost any Fortune 500 company; 8% 401K match, gyms at work, events for employees...the list goes on and on. Providing you work in a support role (IT, Compliance, Mgmt) the compensation is pretty darn good. Also, they are becoming stronger advocates for working from home and believe in work/life balance.

Cons

The amazing benefits and perks is a double edge sword as management can be very tenured at USAA and thus might not have outside experience in their particular industry/field to bring new/fresh ideas to their area; i.e. "We have always done it this way, so why change things". It can be difficult to instill change in a department if your not already a manager or at a senior level because mgmt might not listen to you. .

Hire more managers from the outside who bring in new fresh ideas.

782 Other Employee Reviews for USAA (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Specialist  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company really cares about their employees
    Bonuses
    Benefits/compensation
    Chance to progress

Cons

The "mission" brainwashing- I love the fact that they do have a mission and that they are passionate about it but sometimes it is forced so strongly that its almost bordering religion.
    Also, micromanagement for service reps.

So far all of my managers have been more than willing to go the extra mile for me. They really care about you as a person and want to see you succeed. I know they have their own boss to answer to, but my advice would be to go easy on the micro management. I've known people who got a talking to by their manager because they've been going to the restroom more than what the manager thought necessary! lol

Pretty easy job with great hours

Current Employee - Mortgage Origination Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Mortgage Origination Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than a year

Pros

The 401k match is amazing at 8%. They give you an extra check in December to help with Christmas and they give you an Annual bonus depending on how well the company performs. Last year it was 18% of your annual salary!! In mortgage we pretty much have bankers hours. If you work the later shift you will be there until 8 but it's a monday-friday job.

Cons

The training seems to lack quite a bit. You don't feel 100% prepared for your job when they put you on the phones. I know this is common for call center jobs but here it's extremely difficult. Other than not feeling prepared the job is great

Fix the training program. Give us more hands on training not Web Based Training.

There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!