USAA

There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Good solid company

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO
Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Mostly positive culture.

Cons

High pending. Some negativity in the workplace from stressed out employees.

894 Other Employee Reviews for USAA (View Most Recent)

Good and Bad, but more good

Current Employee - Compliance in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Compliance in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company's mission of serving military personnel and their families is admirable and carried out very well by the senior leadership team. The company really cares about their employees and provides great benefits to maintain a low employee turnover. Annual Bonus, Christmas Bonus, far more paid vacation days than almost any Fortune 500 company; 8% 401K match, gyms at work, events for employees...the list goes on and on. Providing you work in a support role (IT, Compliance, Mgmt) the compensation is pretty darn good. Also, they are becoming stronger advocates for working from home and believe in work/life balance.

Cons

The amazing benefits and perks is a double edge sword as management can be very tenured at USAA and thus might not have outside experience in their particular industry/field to bring new/fresh ideas to their area; i.e. "We have always done it this way, so why change things". It can be difficult to instill change in a department if your not already a manager or at a senior level because mgmt might not listen to you. .

Hire more managers from the outside who bring in new fresh ideas.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company really cares about their employees
    Bonuses
    Benefits/compensation
    Chance to progress

Cons

The "mission" brainwashing- I love the fact that they do have a mission and that they are passionate about it but sometimes it is forced so strongly that its almost bordering religion.
    Also, micromanagement for service reps.

So far all of my managers have been more than willing to go the extra mile for me. They really care about you as a person and want to see you succeed. I know they have their own boss to answer to, but my advice would be to go easy on the micro management. I've known people who got a talking to by their manager because they've been going to the restroom more than what the manager thought necessary! lol

There are newer employer reviews for USAA