There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Awful deal for the family if planning to relocate

Current Employee - Java Developer in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Java Developer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bigger and stable company with good asset

Cons

They offered my spouse and they say its a family relocation. How is that possible when the other person will not be offered after the interview.

If both are unfit for the position, then I agree, there is a reason not to offer the other person a job. When wife has worked for very good companies as full time employee, they denied her and offered only the husband which is not fair for the family to relocate to that place. DISGUSTING!!!!

816 Other Employee Reviews for USAA (View Most Recent)

Exhausting

Former Employee - Auto Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Auto Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are nice, pay was good for entry-level

Cons

Heavily monitored and micromanaged call center. It doesn't matter if you're a claim adjuster, policy writer, bank employee, etc., you are expected to make sales and "deepen the relationship". Each day's schedule is made out for you, including when you take your breaks and lunch and how long you have. Every deviation from the planned schedule, even if going to the bathroom, is counted as "out of adherence". Falling out of a certain allowable range will result in a reprimand, and if continual and frequent will lead to corrective actions. You barely know the people you work in close proximity to because you are on the phone constantly, and once home for the night or on the weekends you may find yourself with little energy to do anything else other than dread the next work day. Benefits are nice only because management knows it's the only thing keeping employees there. Also, little opportunity for advancement from an entry-level, customer-facing position; most upper positions are filled with people who applied with prior experience at other companies. You are expected to take outside education courses while at home and not participating is frowned upon, with the result being your entire life become centered around your work. Nearly every employee I talked to was either actively looking for new work, planning on doing so, or stuck reluctantly at the company for financial or other reasons.

Remember what made USAA special in the first place: the lack of a desire to be a major player in the financial services and insurance industry in favor of outstanding service and commitment to a great work environment. USAA decided they wanted to become another run-of-the-mill insurance/banking company but lacks the infrastructure for such a move. Rather than race towards goals, you should carefully select them and gradually move towards them.

Absolutely splendid! Truly world class

Current Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Foundations Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

More than anything, I love the respect that comes from working at USAA, not just from the membership, but also from the management. Even at a moderately low level job handling inbound calls, I feel like I'm able to make my own decisions and not have to go through red tape just to do the right thing for the members.
    Also, of cours, the benefits are second to none.

Cons

As an inbound phone worker, I basically do one thing. I do it extremely well, but after a while, that one thing can get a little grating.

You guys rule - please keep up the excellent work. It is a pleasure to work for your company.

There are newer employer reviews for USAA