There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Not a bad place to work for folks who want stability and work/life balance, in lieu of big bucks.

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice, clean town. Cheap, decent housing/apartments. USAA campus is very nice. Great on-site facilities (gym, jogging trails, massage therapy centers, credit union, cafeteria, Starbucks, etc...). Overall, pretty darn good benefits. Also, emphatically, they have an astounding culture. They really do care about their customers, and this is drilled into everyone on every level. There were thousands of us in that building, and pretty much all of us bent over backwards to help the members. I'm not sure how a corporation that size pulls it off, but we all saw those members as family. Really, great culture.

Cons

Decent money considering the cost of living in the area, but you can definitely make more cash at other places. However, you will probably be worked like a dog in those places. Nothing is free.

No advice for management. They've chosen to pay towards the low end of normal, but offer a stable work week and terrific benefits/environment (much like the military on this, minus the whole "going to war" thing). It's a reasonable strategy, and they do it well. I note, however, that they tend to lose their most ambitious people unless they're wedded to the area.

815 Other Employee Reviews for USAA (View Most Recent)

Wealth Management Division in name only

Former Employee - Wealth Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Wealth Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Insurance company primarily so corporate earnings pretty consistent. Seldom experiences lay-offs or staff reductions.

Cons

"Wealth Management" Division a joke,. Simplistic product offerings: Managed money platform, mutual funds, Long Term Care, Trusteed IRAs, CD's. Oh, throw in Whole Life Insurance and thats about it. Really the Mass Affluent segment is the real target market. CRM rool they use doesnt work well. Financial Planning software is highly questionable and plans provided clients is an akin to financial malpractice. Bloated middle management. Lke the military, chain of command very important here. Highly, highly beaurocratic. Lots of recent external directors and AVPs hired from banks. NOT GOOD for maintaining the simplistic culture of the past. Big product push now and the foreseeable future/. Problem is the products arent that competitive.

Quit misleading potential employees by calling USAA "Wealth Management" something it's not.

Serving for those who have served! Need I say more?

Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Tampa, FL

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and warm culture

Cons

Call center environment and regulated schedules

Continue doing what you are doing- it's working

There are newer employer reviews for USAA