There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Not a bad place to work for folks who want stability and work/life balance, in lieu of big bucks.

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, clean town. Cheap, decent housing/apartments. USAA campus is very nice. Great on-site facilities (gym, jogging trails, massage therapy centers, credit union, cafeteria, Starbucks, etc...). Overall, pretty darn good benefits. Also, emphatically, they have an astounding culture. They really do care about their customers, and this is drilled into everyone on every level. There were thousands of us in that building, and pretty much all of us bent over backwards to help the members. I'm not sure how a corporation that size pulls it off, but we all saw those members as family. Really, great culture.

Cons

Decent money considering the cost of living in the area, but you can definitely make more cash at other places. However, you will probably be worked like a dog in those places. Nothing is free.

Advice to Management

No advice for management. They've chosen to pay towards the low end of normal, but offer a stable work week and terrific benefits/environment (much like the military on this, minus the whole "going to war" thing). It's a reasonable strategy, and they do it well. I note, however, that they tend to lose their most ambitious people unless they're wedded to the area.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great company, bad location

Former Employee - Computer Systems Engineer I in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Systems Engineer I in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Culture, great company, voted best place to work in IT 3 years in a row, good benefits

Cons

low salary, san antonio is a terrible place for singles.

Advice to Management

keep it up.

2. A model company

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, fantastic benefits, competitive wages, an environment where management cares just as much for employees as they do results. Mission driven organization where all decisions are made with membership in mind.

Cons

There aren't many cons. There can be difficulty and lengthy decision making.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work helping employees meet the mission. Empower more front line leaders to make decisions.