USAA
www.usaa.com San Antonio, TX 5000+ Employees

Not a bad place to work for folks who want stability and work/life balance, in lieu of big bucks.

Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

ProsNice, clean town. Cheap, decent housing/apartments. USAA campus is very nice. Great on-site facilities (gym, jogging trails, massage therapy centers, credit union, cafeteria, Starbucks, etc...). Overall, pretty darn good benefits. Also, emphatically, they have an astounding culture. They really do care about their customers, and this is drilled into everyone on every level. There were thousands of us in that building, and pretty much all of us bent over backwards to help the members. I'm not sure how a corporation that size pulls it off, but we all saw those members as family. Really, great culture.

ConsDecent money considering the cost of living in the area, but you can definitely make more cash at other places. However, you will probably be worked like a dog in those places. Nothing is free.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice for management. They've chosen to pay towards the low end of normal, but offer a stable work week and terrific benefits/environment (much like the military on this, minus the whole "going to war" thing). It's a reasonable strategy, and they do it well. I note, however, that they tend to lose their most ambitious people unless they're wedded to the area.

Great Place for a Career

Auto Adjuster II (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Always have the opportunity to be challenged and grow. Never get bored with work. Opportunity to promote and move if you actively participate… Cons: Paid time off has always been a sore point. Not that you don't get enough, but using it. Everyone bids by seniority and if you… Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing what you do and promote innovation at every… More

Overall okay but they LOVE micromanagers and "yes" men!

Director (Former Employee)
    San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Good salary for cost of living in San Antonio, awesome health, childcare available right across… Cons: Micro managers, if you're former military you walk on water- even if you're incompetent, lots of inter office politics and favorites- also they… Advice to Senior Management: Ease up and allow people to think outside the box. More
There are newer reviews on USAA.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USAA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USAA CEO Joe Robles Jr. All reviews posted anonymously by USAA employees.