Fantastic Internship at USAA

Former Intern - Intern in San Antonio, TX
Former Intern - Intern in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great mentors, truly intensive experience working on projects

Cons

If you don't like the big corporate atmosphere you may not feel comfortable. They treat you well, very well... but they expect great results from this so there can be some stress and tension depending on your department or projects.

Other Employee Reviews for USAA

USAA Policy Service Advisor jobs - 2004

Former Employee - Policy Service Advisor in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Policy Service Advisor in Sacramento, CA

I worked at USAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

• Company has outstanding benefits for its Employees • Flexable work schedules (if you can get them) are very nice • Campus is very, very nice and well kept • On-site child care (Sacramento office, now closed) • On-site gym/workout area

Cons

Being a Policy Service Advisor is probably the worst job you can have at USAA. At the Sacramento office specifically, you were not there to “support” the Customer as much as you were there to try and upsell a bunch of crap bolt-on services that were 90% of the time not even relevant to the call. “I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems paying your insurance bill this month, but could I interest you in a Personal Article Floater policy?” What a crock! You are expected to PUSH so many services and products, answer so many calls a day, and key so many pieces of mail. Break times and lunch times were constantly shifting, there was no consistency or flexibility and you could only take a 35 min. lunch. If you were sick or needed time off that was not planed several weeks into the future (life happens), it was considered an occurrence and you were dinged for it. Your calls were monitored and you were always reminded of what you were doing wrong. And good luck moving into another job, you were STUCK in Policy Service for life! I went to this company because I had heard how great they were…but several people at USAA told me that things had been changing over the last 4 – 5 years and I should get out now…which I did. When USAA announced they were selling their Sacramento buildings, I decided to bail. About 1 year after I got out, they closed the campus in Sacramento and shipped all the jobs to other offices.

Advice to Management

Honesty goes a long way and I was mislead by management from my first interview. Everything from the job to the company was puffed and misrepresented to me. Be honest with your new hires and tell them the truth, this is an inbound call center and there are sales and marketing expectations that your job performance depends on. You do not get commissions for your sales and we are going to pay you a very, very low salary (under 30k) while expecting you to perform as though you are making $50k+ a year.

Drink the kool-aid and you'll love it!!

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Good benefits, good hours, if you can read you can move up.

Cons

Managers are moved around constantly. Reps are expected to be pushy under the guise of helping.

Advice to Management

Really listen to the members! They don't like the changes in customer service.