USAA

www.usaa.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Great military culture, atmosphere, and strong upper management.

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Great benefits and strong military culture.

Cons

Extremely conservative approach with product offerings to members

921 Other Employee Reviews for USAA (View Most Recent)

OK if you have no other opportunities

Former Employee - Financial Advisor III
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor III

I worked at USAA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The co-workers and management team in my area were amazing, 40 hr work week, 18.8% performance bonus in '13 (and last several years) plus extra paycheck in December, this makes up for the low salaries, paid OT, 8% 401k match, great benefits, great training, any job off of the phones would be great.

Cons

This is a call center job, you will be tied to your desk, can't eat lunch or take breaks with friends, this is not a career - it is a job, highly sales oriented atmosphere, performance review is ultimately subject to your sales performance, other departments will cold drop members to you who have no idea why they are talking to you or believe that you will simply update their address or finish the "second part of the call", it will be up to you to open the call and try to make a sale, no clear upward mobility progression structure, as a new hire you will be working Saturdays for at least the first year or two, you will not be able to get off any decent holidays for at least the first 2 yrs, high stress and high pressure. Ultimately this is a job with a steady paycheck but if you have any other opportunities that are not in a call center, take it and forget about this job. I left for a better opportunity and am so happy I did.

Lower to Middle management: Keep doing what you are doing, I believe you are doing all you can with the limited resources available to you and you do a great job showing employees that you care.

Senior management: Stop pushing the referrals so hard, it is sad to see that in every other department, reps' performance reviews are solely based on referrals (Even if that's not what it says on paper). This is creating a poor experience for our members and makes USAA look like they don't know what they are doing when a member is being told they are being transferred for a reason that a financial advisor absolutely cannot address.

Great company to work for; good benefits

Former Employee - Mortgage Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Mortgage Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most managers care about their people; tuition assistance; company matches 8% of employee contributions to retirement

Cons

Call center fast paced and demanding

Be willing to move people to positions they are better suited for.

There are newer employer reviews for USAA