There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Great military culture, atmosphere, and strong upper management.

I have been working at USAA full-time

Pros

Great benefits and strong military culture.

Cons

Extremely conservative approach with product offerings to members

812 Other Employee Reviews for USAA (View Most Recent)

OK if you have no other opportunities

Former Employee - Financial Advisor III
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor III

I worked at USAA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The co-workers and management team in my area were amazing, 40 hr work week, 18.8% performance bonus in '13 (and last several years) plus extra paycheck in December, this makes up for the low salaries, paid OT, 8% 401k match, great benefits, great training, any job off of the phones would be great.

Cons

This is a call center job, you will be tied to your desk, can't eat lunch or take breaks with friends, this is not a career - it is a job, highly sales oriented atmosphere, performance review is ultimately subject to your sales performance, other departments will cold drop members to you who have no idea why they are talking to you or believe that you will simply update their address or finish the "second part of the call", it will be up to you to open the call and try to make a sale, no clear upward mobility progression structure, as a new hire you will be working Saturdays for at least the first year or two, you will not be able to get off any decent holidays for at least the first 2 yrs, high stress and high pressure. Ultimately this is a job with a steady paycheck but if you have any other opportunities that are not in a call center, take it and forget about this job. I left for a better opportunity and am so happy I did.

Lower to Middle management: Keep doing what you are doing, I believe you are doing all you can with the limited resources available to you and you do a great job showing employees that you care.

Senior management: Stop pushing the referrals so hard, it is sad to see that in every other department, reps' performance reviews are solely based on referrals (Even if that's not what it says on paper). This is creating a poor experience for our members and makes USAA look like they don't know what they are doing when a member is being told they are being transferred for a reason that a financial advisor absolutely cannot address.

Drink the kool-aid and you'll love it!!

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I worked at USAA

Pros

Good benefits, good hours, if you can read you can move up.

Cons

Managers are moved around constantly. Reps are expected to be pushy under the guise of helping.

Really listen to the members! They don't like the changes in customer service.

There are newer employer reviews for USAA