USAA

www.usaa.com
  www.usaa.com
There are newer employer reviews for USAA

Good pay and benefits, lots of hard work

Current Employee - Senior Member Services Representative in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Senior Member Services Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at USAA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are friendly, members are the best in the world. Salary is above-average for the insurance industry

Cons

Constantly, chronically over-worked. This is NOT an exaggeration - aside from two 20 minute breaks and a 35 minute lunch, there wasn't a single free second in your day.

Hire more representatives to lighten the workload, otherwise employee turnover will continue rising. Also, some managers micro-manage to a painful degree, whereas others are great to work for -- please level-set with management.

858 Other Employee Reviews for USAA (View Most Recent)

Was the best company I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL

I worked at USAA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits package is unbelievable. The time off they offer is superb. I would highly recommend anyone interested in working in the insurance field to check this company out.

Cons

You are in a call center all day. It was a bit of a drive for me.. They only have a couple of offices throughout the United States. So transferring to a higher position can be quite difficult.

I don't think they need as many managers as they do.. The senior represetatives take care of most issue. ITs a wast of money. Money that could go to the people actually taking phone calls.

A great company that truly cares about its employees and members

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at USAA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

USAA truly cares about the people who work there. I have never seen an employer go so far out of their way to make sure its employees have what they need. While other companies are only giving bonuses to executives, USAA gives them to the frontline employees because they understand how integral they are to the organization. What company does that any more? I mean seriously. Stop and think about it. And what a wonderful group of employees they are. USAA seeks out and attracts the best talent they can and these people come together and not only do they make an excellent team, but they try so hard to take care of the members, and they do a great job. I also appreciate that USAA wants to help its members, and they don't frustrate the employees efforts to do so. How many companies say they care about their customers when they really only care about their money? I can't speak for the character of all 24000 employees but the company as a whole, from the top to the bottom, is a model of integrity, honesty, loyalty and service. Every company is not like that. Every insurance company isn't like that...And while I left to pursue a dream career outside of what USAA could offer me, I realize that it is so important to love where you work, even if you don't love what you're doing. And the best thing by far is their tuition assistance program. Thank you USAA for helping me to pursue my dreams and learn how to be professional, responsible and know how an employer should treat me as well as its customers.

Cons

Scheduling is an issue. It's great that USAA offers 4 and 5 day work weeks, work at home, etc, but there is no excuse for not being able to give someone a day off when they can give a month's notice. Or even a few days off with a few months' notice. I mean, come on. I've worked places with only a few others who could replace me and they could handle this type of request, and in a place where there are hundreds of others who can do my job... Just get it figured out. Yes, we want to be available for the members but we'd also like to be available for what is important to us and our families. I was unable to go on any missions trips with my church because they only gave me 9 months' notice at the beginning of the year, whereas USAA asks that all vacation time be requested off the year before. That's great for Christmas and July. Not so great for any individual situations. Secondly, USAA tries to attract the best talent in the industry, then too often they let them stagnate in one position because there is so little opportunity for advancement or rotation off of the phones. Let talented people use their skills! Also, it's clear to the employees and members that sales are a priority. It is well understood that it's the right thing to protect the members' financial security, but sometimes positive reinforcement is a better motivator than negative reinforcement. Rewards need to be offered for closed sales or superior sales efforts.

Offer quarterly bonuses for employees that exceed expectations in sales and productivity. Goofy competitions where all you offer for excellence in sales is ice cream and bagels get old. Try to open up more opportunities for advancement off of the phones in Colorado. Use the talents of these amazing educated people and they will do even more for the company than you ever thought possible because they will feel more impactful, useful, and fulfilled instead of seeking fulfillment elsewhere. No amount of benefits or bonuses will motivate a talented person who feels their talents are not being used.

There are newer employer reviews for USAA