USAA

www.usaa.com

From Zero to burnout in 60 seconds

Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Financial Foundations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Decent wages; professional, yet relaxed environment. On-site cafés and shop. Covered parking. Gym. Flexible working hours once you have put in time.

Cons

Company has bitten off more than they can chew. They have taken on a larger segment of the marketplace thru increased advertising and are now extremely understaffed to handle all the continuous, back-to-back calls. They say they are going to continue hiring, but with high turnover from burnt out employees, they will just keep spinning their wheels.

Next time use some foresight before jumping head first into the desire to get more customers. What you have now has increased customer dissatisfaction and has driven away good workers.

Other reviews for USAA

Glass ceiling that you can't seem to break through...company has great culture and ethics.

Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Member Relationship Specialist II in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The benefits, pay and culture are remarkable especially with how people and companies are run these days - they literally stand by their word, they trust their members and their employees - I was amazed at how they mean what they say no play on words, no fine print.....and that went from employees as well as members. They live by a standard, they make decisions based on this standard across ALL companies - I really admired and appreciated that b/c I never felt like I was being forced to 'trick' a member - I really felt like I was helping member and living the mission statement which we all lived by every day on every call. I don't know any other company like that so that was HUGE for me!

Cons

As a call center representative; what is required as far as how you are rated on each and EVERY call exhausts you after your third call - the volume of calls is astounding it feels like San Antonio is the ONLY call center for USAA and it isn't which is mind boggling.The depth in which we were to speak with the member was crazy because we were still required to take a certain amount of calls each day. I was a top performer I had EE's (exceeds expectations) on all my reviews as a first year employee - I was recognized several times by upper management as well as directors above my entire department - I was chosen to be apart of a special project in just my first year which was unheard of AND I was hand-picked by my manager and my director to be apart of another special group that meant with even higher management and influential persons monthly (this position wasn't to be offered to first year employees...I had been employed for three months and had been on the floor for 3 weeks!) I went above and beyond for my members and the company - I did not like the 35 minute lunches rather than have an hour and 15 min for lunch call reps receive 2 20 minute breaks and a 35 minute lunch b/c we need to 'get away' throughout the day vs all at once - and last it is very true that people 'crack' have melt downs etc - I know several awesome employees that I later learned were being medicated for anxiety, depression, mood disorders etc all due to the stress of the job, wanting to keep their job but not be on the phones, etc - the call center is too big and everyone in the call center is looking for a way out - for a non-member contact position - I posted out for a processing job in the bank when I became fed up with hitting my ceiling and learned that 636 other employees JUST IN MY DEPARTMENT ALONE, had applied for the same job - and this was bottom of the barrel, nothing special, type of position BUT it was off the phones - the goal of EVERY phone representative at USAA. And last....quitting time is in February after the bonus - several hundred employees call in and quit immediately after their bonus hits the bank I saw it with my own eyes - those of us that stay are hammered...but by then you're used to it and you either deal with the call volume and stressors.....or you too eventually quit.

As with any management team some are awesome, others you wonder how on earth they were picked to lead! Just as phone reps are required to be in unison when it comes to how calls are handled....management should be as well. My manager was for lack of a better word 'PERFECT - she listened, she cared, she gave us the benefit of the doubt, she understood we would have good days and bad days at work and good days and bad days at home and most importantly she treated our team like individuals - we weren't cookie cutter employees we weren't machines we ALL worked differently but towards the same goal - she recognized this and we were an awesome team and wanted to perform for HER because of it - her way of managing should be mirrored throughout USAA and I guarantee they will retain many more employees regardless of the call volumes - stressors - etc. Know what you have when you have it and fight to keep those employees, don't let all the good ones slip through the cracks - out of 16 team members/new highers - all have quit except for 2 - the first 10 after the first year.

Stable, Hectic

Pros

Stable, good bonus, lots of time off, good benefits

Cons

Overworked, underpaid. Hard to move up. High stress environment.

Listen.

There are newer employer reviews for USAA.

Worked for USAA? Contribute to the Community!