USDA Forest Service

There are newer employer reviews for USDA Forest Service

Good job

Former Employee - Forester in Missoula, MT
Former Employee - Forester in Missoula, MT

I worked at USDA Forest Service full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Secure, good pay and benefits, many professional opportunities.

Cons

So many policies and proceeders. Budget uncertainty. Move to promote.

50 Other Employee Reviews for USDA Forest Service (View Most Recent)

Bring your experience to the table

Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Prescott, AZ
    Current Employee - Electronics Technician in Prescott, AZ

I have been working at USDA Forest Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Work 50/50 independently and as a team, get to push 4WD trucks to their limits, work outdoors in some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Bring your experience, because it's expected. Theory, soldering, integration, installation, organization are required day 1. I say that is a pro because we work with folks that know their profession well and that is a good change of pace.

Cons

Information sharing is null thus everything seems short fused. Promotion with all federal jobs is very slow. Other than that everyone tells me I am lucky to have this job, and I wholly agree.

Round table everything... Please. Not like 4 hour one way teleconferences.

A great agency a generation or two ago - buyer beware

Former Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Manager in Anchorage, AK

I worked at USDA Forest Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

working outdoors, great locations for supervisor offices and ranger districts, promoting and preserving public lands. great worklife balance with benefits like maxi-flex schedules, wellness leave etc. Ground level "worker bee" employees are great and very versed in their respective fields

Cons

agency has been hijacked by environmentalists and shies away from its multi-use mission, safety and other related compliance functions are given lip service at best and are definitely not embraced or respected facets of corporate culture. line officers are absolute final authorities and all that matters. Overall the agency is very fractured with minimal national standardization. Favoritism runs wild and promotions/grades are very low compared to equal work at other non-land mgt/natural resource federal agencies.

standardize operations, enforce and embrace a culture of safety. align grades to be equal to other federal agencies. USFS is on average 1 or 2 grades below most other agencies for the same type of work and complexity. hold poor forests and ranger district officers accountable.

There are newer employer reviews for USDA Forest Service