USDA Forest Service

There are newer employer reviews for USDA Forest Service

Positive work environment

Current Intern - Civil Engineer
Current Intern - Civil Engineer

I have been working at USDA Forest Service as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked with the Forest Service as an engineering intern for almost two years and I find that most people are happy with their jobs. It shows in the positive and laid back teamwork environment that seems to reflect people's passion for managing our nation's natural resources. I also like the interdisciplinary aspect that allows people to cross over into different disciplines when working with different departments. The variety of locations and work/life balance along with good benefits are great incentives as well.

Cons

The downside due to budget cuts is that outside of firefighting or other common job titles, it can be very difficult to move into a desired permanent position as opportunities seem to be few and far between, and especially for engineering. Also, most likely you'll probably need to be willing to move anywhere in order to find a permanent position. The new Pathways program for students took away the automatic conversion to permanent status, but that's also true for most federal jobs now.

50 Other Employee Reviews for USDA Forest Service (View Most Recent)

Was a great place to work, but declining morale is taking an increasing toll.

I have been working at USDA Forest Service

Pros

You can make a difference in how our beautiful publicly owned forests are managed, and you get to see things that very few others will experience in a lifetime. AND you get to work outdoors!

Cons

Continuous downsizing, budget cuts, worsening morale, and anyone who works for the public in any federal agency always seems to be an easy target for cheap shots in the media. They don't do a very good job of advertising all of the GOOD work that we do.

Cut back on the staffing levels at upper echelons, and get more boots on the ground. Ranger Districts are severely understaffed compared to the amount of assinged work.

Great government agency to work for

Current Employee - Personnel Security Assistant in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Personnel Security Assistant in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at USDA Forest Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits
    Flexible schedule
    Variety of job opportunities

Cons

Not much room for growth unless you move

There are newer employer reviews for USDA Forest Service