USEC

www.usec.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for USEC

A good company to learn about the nuclear fuel cycle and energy industry in general, but has a very uncertain future.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Bethesda, MD
Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I worked at USEC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Talented, smart people. Decent salary, 401K and benefits. Great individual offices. Good gym and underground parking. Early release on days prior to major holiday long weekends.

Cons

A company struggling to carve out a viable future in the uranium enrichment sector. No workplace flexibility or telecommuting. Competes globally, but not especially global in terms of geographic presence or culture.

Get savvier on the DC lobbying front because the company is facing an uphill battle against the competition.

15 Other Employee Reviews for USEC (View Most Recent)

Pretty decent company

Current Employee - Engineer III in Piketon, OH
    Current Employee - Engineer III in Piketon, OH

I have been working at USEC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay for the southern Ohio region with low cost of living, low crime, and quiet neighborhoods, and benefits are good also. Coworkers laid back and friendly. Good training and travel policy, for engineering group at least. Job assignments are somewhat interesting but not as challenging as a national lab.

Cons

There is uncertainty about survival of the company for the next couple of years. Some of the physical structures and buildings are aging. The faucet-water is brown and water-jugs are brought in. Nearest big city is 45 or 90 minutes away, depending on where you live. The area close to the plant is a poor Appalachian.

They might have done a better job in communicating to, and working with, the DOE to secure the loan guarantee in 2009, in order to avoid using this "co-operative agreement" or whatever one calls it. But considering the extreme political motivation of the Obama administration I'm sure not a lot of people could have done better.

Worst mistake ever.

Current Employee - Utility Operator in Portsmouth, OH
    Current Employee - Utility Operator in Portsmouth, OH

I have been working at USEC

Pros

Money is the only thing. They have taken everything else away.

Cons

Privatization was the worst thing they could have done. They just don't care about the employee or will they listen to us. They do what they want and you live with it. It's all about money.

Alot of these people that are there now I have worked with. They have not the knowledge or the mind capacity to work there. To me they should resign and try something more on their level. Maybe a grocery bagger, but I doubt they could do that right either. Just a bunch of educated idiots for most. They know nothing about the jobs. They need to get off their lazy high paid wages asses and look at what's going on.

There are newer employer reviews for USEC