USG

www.usg.com

Only work here when housing is good!

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWhen the market is good, the bonuses are good. As you can imagine, this company is leveraged to the housing market. This means that when times are good, housing is good, and this company will make a ton of money. As is with most companies, this means that morale will be high and folks will advance within the company as it expands.

Another benefit is this company has great benefits. 401K and pension ... which is rare to find today. They reward folks for being here a number of years, as I have meet several that have been with the company over 30+ years.

ConsWhen the market is bad, bonuses are bad, morale is in the toilet, constant layoffs, and they work you to the bone. A simple Google search will show you that the company has had five layoffs within the past 10 years. During these layoffs management will typically cull away the bottom performers in the first round and then make political reductions in subsequent rounds. If you are not in the "inner circle" then you can forget about your job. Within the IT Dept they have had three CIO's over the past 10 years. And none of them have been an acting CIO from another organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have several departments that conduct layoffs based solely on political strategy rather than performance to the organization. Wise up!

USG is a great place to work when work is available.

Department Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

I worked at USG

Pros: Typically promote from within and provide opportunities for advancement openly. Market leader in sales… Cons: Business cycles create frequent layoff situations. Advice to Senior Management: Plan further ahead. MIned gypsum operations on the east coast need… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

USG - A great place to work.

Production Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at USG

Pros: USG, for engineers in particular, provides a rewarding and challenging work environment. Strong… Cons: Slow to move on the newest technologies. Reluctant to… Advice to Senior Management: Excellent move by breaking up the business units. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on USG.

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!