There are newer employer reviews for USG

Good company but perhaps wait until the housing industy improves

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at USG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

USG is a good company with strong emphasis on building relationships among customers and employees. While the job often requires long or unusual hours, there is a strong belief in life balance. It is a great company for training and when the economy there will be ample opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The current economy makes advancement and employment, especially for those not in an engineering field can be risky. Must be willing to relocate to receive advancement within the manufacturing management positions.

Advice to Management

Stay the course but never forget the values of your people are your best assets.

Other Employee Reviews for USG

1. Fair company to work for with old school values.

I have been working at USG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pension & 401K. Good healthcare insurance. Dedication to keeping its workers safe and free from injury.

Cons

lots of paperwork that could be done electronically.

Advice to Management

Reduce paperwork. Utilize retiring work force by having them pass their knowledge and skills to new workers.

2. Great Vision minded executive Staff have a great plan to win through these tough times.

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at USG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are more communications than ever before from the executive committee which definitely helps motivate employees. Lately our teams plan to win has created our own company recession recovery which has motivated all employees from senior executives to the operator level. We have seen our first pay raise in some time as promised and looking forward to the future with great faith in our executive leaders.

Cons

Some USG location seem slow to adapt to new technology but getting better. Still have unrealistic deadlines to meet which stunt project growth due to manpower shortages.

Advice to Management

Continue the communications and try to speed up the adaptation of new technologies at all plants.