USG
www.usg.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Worst employer ever, lots of great ideas on employee satisfaction but never implemented or are poorly implemented.

Machine Operator (Current Employee)
Auburn, WA

ProsThe pay and benefits are OK. Really good if you want to work at night and go to college during the day because they will pay for your tuition. Good safety programs, however employees are rarely involved in their implementation which makes everyone unhappy if normal practice has to be changed.

ConsToo many changes happens on a daily basis, whatever management wants it will be done regardless of what employees think or their input.
Management is so fake, they tell you,
'feel free to tell us your opinions we will listen' but at the same time they avoid those that raise good questions and concerns in the meetings.
The supervisory team is so biased, you cant move up to the next levels unless they like you. No equal opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes guys (management) we are very unhappy out here on the floor. We won't say anything because of fear of retaliation through layoffs. Think about this, most people have resorted to going back to school while others are investing their hard earned money in buying lottery tickets, as groups, in hopes that they can walk away from the misery. That should tell you how bad people want out but the only thing stopping them from leaving is the money. Compensation alone has never motivated people, remember from your management courses if you took any.
Really won't be a bad job if you just want to go to college and leave after wards, I heard it will be more like a full ride scholarship.

Good place to work

Vice President Operations (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

I worked at USG

Pros: Salary, benefits, highest Quality products, Cons: Cyclic nature of business makes job security risky Advice to Senior Management: Good job in removing leadership with questionable integrity Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

review headline for my review

Washington, DC

I have been working at USG

Pros: Generally speaking there is stability and you will get reasonable… Cons: There is no way to get rid of incompetent employees. Senior management is horrible and lacks any… Advice to Senior Management: Leave! Engage your employees. Value your employees. Put some effort toward… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on USG.

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at USG reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for USG CEO James S. Metcalf. All reviews posted anonymously by USG employees.