There are newer employer reviews for USG

Great US manufacturing company,

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at USG

Pros

I was satisfied with USG because the culture was laid back and the potential to move from one functional area to another was great from a development stand point. I always felt like I was treated fairly and management runs a company you can be proud of.

Cons

The downside to working for USG was that it's business is getting hammered by the weak housing market. Management made the right moves to reduce costs in the new environment, but that led to reduced career opportunities for up and comers. I decided to leave instead of waiting in the doldrums.

Dear Senior Management, please give your young professionals more leadership opportunites or more clearly define career development From our view, USG is top heavy with people in the 20+ year range. There will come a day when all of your currnet leaders will need to retire and you will not have a pool of successful candidates, who know the business well, to fill the retirees' spots.

81 Other Employee Reviews for USG (View Most Recent)

Great environment, if you can handle a little uncertainty

Current Employee - Logistics Services Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Logistics Services Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at USG

Pros

Low stress environment at the corporate office, commitment to diversity, great coworkers, generous tuition reimbursement, ability to move to different departments or locations to advance your career as opportunities come up

Cons

shaky industry, poor raises in unprofitable years

Keep investing in talent during the downturn

USG is just alright with me.

Current Employee - Analyst.  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst. in Chicago, IL

I have been working at USG

Pros

The benefits package is excellent and it is a good place to work if you want to move every couple of years. As a manufacturing company, the company offers different working environments that may appeal to different individuals. If you want informal, jeans, and golf shirt, work in the manufacturing plants. If you want business professional, consider working at the company's headquarters in Chicago. There is also more of a flat management hierarchy at the plant level where you can see your individual contribution more clearly.

Cons

The company completely drops the ball with regards to the internal hiring process. Employees are disrespected throughout the process due to the inability of senior management to effectively communicate to the candidate why a hiring decision was made. Oftentimes, an employee may not even be told where they stand. Also, employees are often not given sufficient feedback after interviews.Currently, due to external factors, job security is very suspect. At the plant level, be prepared to have to implement policies from corporate. Many will not be well received and there is no consideration given to the resource constraints at the plants.

Clean up the internal hiring process to provide for greater transparency.

There are newer employer reviews for USG

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!