Great US manufacturing company,

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at USG

Pros

I was satisfied with USG because the culture was laid back and the potential to move from one functional area to another was great from a development stand point. I always felt like I was treated fairly and management runs a company you can be proud of.

Cons

The downside to working for USG was that it's business is getting hammered by the weak housing market. Management made the right moves to reduce costs in the new environment, but that led to reduced career opportunities for up and comers. I decided to leave instead of waiting in the doldrums.

Dear Senior Management, please give your young professionals more leadership opportunites or more clearly define career development From our view, USG is top heavy with people in the 20+ year range. There will come a day when all of your currnet leaders will need to retire and you will not have a pool of successful candidates, who know the business well, to fill the retirees' spots.

Other Reviews for USG

Good work-life balance, but not a place to grow your career.

Former Employee - Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst

I worked at USG

Pros

Very flexible work schedule and good work-life balance. Comfortable, low stress work environment that can make the workplace enjoyable.

Cons

It is an old company where things tend to move very slowly. There is very limited opportunity for merit based career progression. If you have worked there long enough, you will get the promotion and title over someone that is more deserving. You can easily assume a role that is low stress and remain in it for years.

Once the economy recovers, they will need to reinvigorate the organization with an infusion of new, forward-thinking leadership.

Great environment, if you can handle a little uncertainty

Current Employee - Logistics Services Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Logistics Services Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at USG

Pros

Low stress environment at the corporate office, commitment to diversity, great coworkers, generous tuition reimbursement, ability to move to different departments or locations to advance your career as opportunities come up

Cons

shaky industry, poor raises in unprofitable years

Keep investing in talent during the downturn

There are newer employer reviews for USG.

Worked for USG? Contribute to the Community!