UT Southwestern Medical Center

www.utsouthwestern.edu

Hospital is growing as well and employment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The company offers great benefits and supervisors and managers are very understanding.

Cons

Employee parking, long distance of walking between buildings and shuttles.

Other reviews for UT Southwestern Medical Center

Proceed with caution, have other job options available when you start, and make no mistakes!

Former Employee - Database Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Database Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great place to work at as everything is self-contained and inter-connected. Great benefits and great people to work around as most everyone is fairly intelligent and career-oriented. Long-term stability if you make it beyond the 6-month probationary period. This is in an industry that is nearly insulated from the economy. Convenient to utilize internal Doctors and medical resources without leaving the campus. A very youthful environment where many folks are either starting Medical School, working on their Residency or Fellowships, and many Nurses and Doctors around the campus. Many Departments to transfer to over time, centrally located near Love Field Airport.

Cons

Biggest complaint is that you are totally dependent on your Supervisor to determine your fate as to whether you stay after 6 months or are terminated within 3-4 months. If your Supervisor decides he/she does not like you for any reason, it becomes a standard routine to write you up for every petty issue or mistake, with termination highly certain. The politics at UTSW is very ugly and worse than the corporate world. During my probationary period I was treated as if I was a Contractor more than an Employee. The group I was in was the Pediatrics Dept, and take my advice and avoid this department at every angle! This is the only group that is highly dysfunctional in terms of how management treats their staff, and all of the managers are tightly connected to the HR department, so if you ever have a grievance or valid complaint while on probation you can expect no support from HR and it will actually make things worse as it did for me. Promotions are based on years of experience rather than actual skills and accomplishments. Very minimal pay raises provided if any at all. The Admin from my department had not received a pay raise in 8 years! The Pediatrics department has had 12 terminations in the last 12 months, so if you don’t fit the mold you’ll be quickly gone with NO recourse. When terminated as a Probationary Employee you cannot appeal the decision. On my way out I was told HR would include a 3rd-party independent person in the review of my case and response document in my defense, but that was totally false and they never bothered to consider my written response so I was terminated before the 90-day point. Despite many accomplishments and successes on the job, my Supervisor nit-picked everything regularly and I was written up for taking a Sick Day when I needed one. Their Job Descriptions are way too vague, and allows too large a window for “Other Projects as Assigned”. In my case I was terminated for making common mistakes any new employee will make that were based on tasks not specified anywhere in my Job Description while learning the job the hard way, without any documentation and with a Supervisor that would only meet with me one hour per week. When I was terminated my Supervisor was promoted to a higher level despite her poor communication skills both verbally and in writing. When I asked for details in writing about projects I was working on my Supervisor always replied that if she had to put things in writing she might as well do everything herself. Finally, this place is really just an Adult Day Care Center, and good people are regularly micro-managed by boneheads who intimidate and criticize rather than facilitate your adjustment during probation or help you be successful on the job. The good people get smart and quickly transfer to another department after their 6-month stint. People were assigned to tasks outside of the scope of their jobs, such as being assigned as the temporary Manager of a group until someone qualified is actually hired in the position. IT folks are abused daily by over-demanding and uneducated users, and are not given the resources they need to do their jobs properly (most work out of a closet). If you can work within a box and like being criticized for tasks you are assigned to outside of your job scope, this is for you.

1) Spend more time getting to know your departmental employees, including probationary ones. Try helping people be successful instead of managing by criticism and intimidation.
    2) All Employee Job Descriptions should clearly define all expected responsibilities and tasks, and there's far too much latitude allowed for "Other projects as defined".
    3) Expected work performance criteria and a weighted list of assigned tasks should be given to each employee during week one. Without this information you will be criticized for things not included in your job description, and very likely terminated if your Supervisor doesn't like you personally or feels threatened by your depth of experience, especially if it's greater than the Supervisor's which was the situation in my case.
    4) Never allow bean-counters to micro-manage IT technical resources, it never works and you must realize that you get what you pay for and ignorance is no excuse for treating people badly and over/under managing good people with diverse skill-sets.
    5) Someone needs to have an Audit of the HR department, and more checks and balances put in place to enable a probationary employee to seek valid support when a grievance exists with one's managers. Too many of the HR folks are personally affiliated with the departmental managers, and the only way to describe them is they’re vultures. There is no Human in the limited Resources they pretend to provide you when you need them.

One nice place to work

Current Employee - Web Applications Engineer II  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Web Applications Engineer II in Dallas, TX

Pros

1)Pretty laid back environment.
    2)Visibility to your voice.
    3)Nice wok atmosphere.
    4)Will get chance to work independently.
    5)Good benefits.
    6)Stable job.

Cons

1)Low salary.
    2)Salary hike and bonus are also low.

There are newer employer reviews for UT Southwestern Medical Center.

Worked for UT Southwestern Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!