UTC Aerospace Systems

There are newer employer reviews for UTC Aerospace Systems

Great expectations

Current Employee - Finance in Chula Vista, CA
Current Employee - Finance in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at UTC Aerospace Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Location (south of downtown (easy commute)
Cafeteria & gym on site
Access to UTC job postings for other UTC divisions
You can do the bare minimum and get a paycheck.

Cons

Low pay, no employee development plan, questionable HR and management practices, negative culture, who-you-know attitude, respect based on titles, titles don't accurately depict job responsibilities, little advancement opportunity

Evaluate employee turnover and ask questions - there's a reason for the attrition.
Simplify cost structure - do you really need program specific rates? No.
Eliminate team leaders as managers. Peers shouldn't manage peers.
HR is extorting employees and hiring people using unethical and fraudulent practices with the excuse of "we were acquired and now things changed"
Utilize UTC's PFT objectives and IDP for employees. If you gave us something to work towards, and clear roles & responsibilities, we would do a better job and might even like coming to work again. Empower employees to innovate instead of stifling.

174 Other Employee Reviews for UTC Aerospace Systems (View Most Recent)

OK, but could've been much better

Former Employee - Structural Analyst in Chula Vista, CA
    Former Employee - Structural Analyst in Chula Vista, CA

I worked at UTC Aerospace Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were very easy to get along with. Everything was out in the open and there wasn't too many grudges being had between employees. Very Good place to start straight out of college for people who do. You will get good engineering experience.

Engineering chiefs with a great deal of knowledge to tap into.

Some freedom to think a bit and go down avenues that I wouldn't normally be able to go down and a more established corporation.

By the way, Curtis Reusser is no longer the CEO of UTAS-Chula Vista (Rohr)

Cons

Very limited in terms of growth. You can get pigeon-holed into doing the same thing unless you speak up in your reviews. They don't beat you down for it, but unless you communicate your concerns in your performance reviews and talk to different people on your own, there will be nothing done if you aren't satisfied with the spot you are currently in.

One of the group leaders who came to our section just non-chalantly blurted out "why do we even need stress engineeers?" As an stress engineer myself, it was really dis-heartening to hear that. Sure is he a couple of levels above me and my immediate supervisors are stress/design people and they were much more understanding of our work and our situation, it was really bad and perhaps slightly demoralizing to hear that we were possibly seen as road-blocks to releasing drawings and getting work done rather than being part of a team that is supplying a good product on time.

When UTC took over Goodrich (perhaps even in the transition phase happening beforehand), we had our stress leads replaced with "technical leads". These guys/gals were supposed to be the "jack of all trades", but they were essentially converted Design Leads with some knowledge of stress. While this is fine for some cases and they try to understand what we want to do, the company needs true stress leads to take charge and be a true representative to the Stress Engineers so that there at least some direction to follow rather than have people doing their own thing off to the side. I was pretty shocked when they effectively "demoted" the Stress Leads into liasons and had these technical leads effectively double up on their work.

The Engineering chiefs, while great in their knowledge of the subject matter needed to do the work required can be very whimsical in their decision making process and they take a while to answer questions when in today's day and age, the work needs to get done quickly. Also, in design reviews, it is required for these same chiefs to approve the methodology so sometimes when we have many questions to ask, they can take the whole day addressing an issue. Its as if these guys are there in lieu of an actual Design/Stress Manual which brings me to the next issue.

The lack of a solid, standardized stress/design manual. The Stress manual for this company is sad and incomplete. The engineers workaround this as per normal using methods and techniques learned throughout their careers and through standard textbooks such as Roark, Bruhn, Flabel, etc, but the lack of a company standard hurts especially when addressing a customer the types of techniques and methods we use that are "out of the ordinary".

The current IT group, CSC (which possibly was integrated when United Technologies took over Goodrich) is absolutely AWFUL. For example, I simply needed access to a network folder to do my work and it took them a total of 3 MONTHS of prodding and poking for them to do anything. I was able to create a workaround for it, but eventually all that data had to be moved to the proper one.

Listen to your employees more and help them out when they ask for it.

Bring back the structure of having a design and stress lead and have them report to the tech leads. In my opinion, that is much better organized than having the type of structure I was under.

Interesting work with NO job security

Former Employee - Test Technician in Wilson, NC
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Wilson, NC

I worked at UTC Aerospace Systems as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Mostly friendly coworkers
    Interesting work
    Acceptable pay

Cons

No personal feedback at all from management
    HR has entirely too much power and even over rides management
    Terminations without warning or cause given
    Barely functional equipment for test technicians
    Absurdly preferential treatment for certain employees
    It's less about how well you do your job and more about schmoozing the right people

Treat all employees fairly and even handedly, including your contracted workers

There are newer employer reviews for UTC Aerospace Systems