small company feel but supported by corporate giant UTC

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  South Windsor, CT
Current Employee - Account Executive in South Windsor, CT

I have been working at UTC Power full-time for more than a year

Pros

company is selling a high tech product in the energy industry. it is a very exciting time in the fuel cell industry and great to be a part of it.

Cons

senior leadership hasn't put enough focus on marketing and positioning our product in the marketplace. they also haven't made the best strategic decisions at key points in the past 5 years.

think like a startup

Other Reviews for UTC Power

Excellent place to work.

Current Employee - Green Energy Service Technici  in  South Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Green Energy Service Technici in South Windsor, CT

I have been working at UTC Power

Pros

UTC Power is a part of the much larger UTC Corporation. Being a part of such a large company means that the corporate infrastructure and resources exist and are in place to allow employees to flourish. At the same time UTC Power is a mid-sized company with the perks and intimacy that comes along with that. Most employees are on a first name basis with upper management and have few barriers between turning a good idea into a reality.

Cons

While a performance review program is in place, job performance feedback is rarely given except at the minimum intervals required by the program.

The long and short term visions of management seem conducive to the continued success of the company.

An interesting opportunity where I could learn something new almost every day.

Former Employee - Power Plant Mechanic  in  South Windsor, CT
    Former Employee - Power Plant Mechanic in South Windsor, CT

I worked at UTC Power

Pros

As an hourly employee, I found that the benefits were very good compared with similar companies. I enjoyed working with fuel cell technology in which I believe has a lot to offer. Most of the people were friendly and I appreciated my immediate supervision for allowing the flexibility of my work and family life balance. I really cared for and enjoyed my job.

Cons

Upper management needs to get their heads out of the insane cost reduction at any price mentality. They have a good product but are losing or have lost experienced, knowledgeable engineers in order to try to save a penny here and a penny there. The quality of the product has gone way down because of across the border out sourcing. They bring in new College Grads for a low salary with a "I know everything" attitude and no experience, which will not listen to the experienced assemblers. God only knows how much time and money could have been saved just by listening. Upper Management needs to come up with better direction and lose the false vision of cheap labor to produce a quality product. Dr. McQuade is a rare sight at the Power. Mr. Bennet was the best man to lead UTC Power. His vision had direction and common sense.

Stop outsourcing, bring the work back, allow the people with the knowledge and pride to return to what we enjoyed doing.

There are newer employer reviews for UTC Power.

Worked for UTC Power? Contribute to the Community!