There are newer employer reviews for UTHealth Houston

Great learning environment....a lot of program development and advancement is need.

Current Employee - Safety  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Safety in Houston, TX

I have been working at UTHealth Houston full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are a plus. State of Texas job. 8 to 5 job. Tuition reimbursement is offered.

Cons

Safety is a challenging topic to preach in an academic and research institution. Money always seems to be an issue for everything. 0-3% raises annually if that. No advancement in positions. Once a specialist always a specialist.

Interact with your staff more so you are in the loop. Decisions should not take months or need a supporting thesis.

61 Other Employee Reviews for UTHealth Houston (View Most Recent)

Safety Specialist

Current Employee - Safety Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Safety Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at UTHealth Houston full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere; Relaxed work environment; Great peer group of employees; Reimbursement for tuition and professional certifications; Great work to life ratio

Cons

Limited salary potential; Virtually no chance of advancement or cross-training; Bonuses are rare and of little value; High turnover rate; Ask for a high wage in your interview because you won't get a salary increase!

I would advise management to allow for cross-training of specialties. Employees are only responsible for a small portion of the safety role. Also, I think management should provide more competitive salary ranges. I found out why I was told that the average person in my position only stays for 1-3 years. I could deal with my dissatisfaction if I felt that I was being paid what I am worth.

Diverse but fractured environment

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Houston, TX

I have been working at UTHealth Houston full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, lots of support from the training departments, great location, many opportunities to learn from other insitutions.

Cons

No social environment, very limited collaboration within the university, poor retention benefits, lack of ameneties (not even free coffee), more focused on staff retention than research talent retention.

Add some things to the work location that will keep the talent interested in staying at work for longer periods of time.

There are newer employer reviews for UTHealth Houston

Worked for UTHealth Houston? Contribute to the Community!