UTI

UTI Smoke and Mirrors

Former Employee - Instructor in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Instructor in Houston, TX

I worked at UTI

Pros

I love to teach!!!! Helping others to learn a trade is very rewarding( those that choose to learn)

Cons

Management displays constant unprofessional behavior towards instructors. I was employed for a number of years, because I believed in the training courses they used. Then it all changed when they changed the curriculum to make more money. They kept raising the tuition, and doing less as far as hands on training.
The students evaluated each instructor after each class, and, when the kids were upset about the training
the took it out on the instructor! Then, we would be called in for a conference about the bad job we did!!!!
They also began to use less and less disipline to correct bad behavior( 18 to 24 year olds) Some were a joy to teach, but with no consequences for their actions, some did not care.Made for some very long days.
The CEO makes upwards of half a million salary, plus benefits, but the employees have to fight to get maybe 4 percent each year, and that is based on STUDENT EVALUATIONS
The icing on the cake was when they started to hire people with no automotive experience( this is an auto tech training school) to be managers and deciders of curriculum and training! Glad to be not there!!!!!!
None of your teaching skills can be used in any other public school, so you have to start over if you go to another school, not what you are told at UTI.

They will not use it, since they know it all!!!

89 Other Employee Reviews for UTI (View Most Recent)

Purpose-driven culture, but losing focus.

I have been working at UTI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very collaborative culture. Many employees have found career development and advancement. People believe in the mission of the company.

Cons

Lots of nepotism and small thinking. Very political and allergic to change and innovation.

Look for and be open to sustainable long-term strategies that revamp your old-fashioned business model. The world has changed but the company is trying to go back to the "good old days."

Great company

I worked at UTI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They definitely care about their employees. I received excellent compensation and felt that my skills were appreciated. There were also lots of opportunities to take on interesting projects.

Cons

Like most corporate environments, there were often conflicting priorities which were frustrating to deal with. Often it felt as though we were left to muddle through without a clear direction.

There are newer employer reviews for UTI