UTI

UTI Smoke and Mirrors

Instructor (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at UTI

ProsI love to teach!!!! Helping others to learn a trade is very rewarding( those that choose to learn)

ConsManagement displays constant unprofessional behavior towards instructors. I was employed for a number of years, because I believed in the training courses they used. Then it all changed when they changed the curriculum to make more money. They kept raising the tuition, and doing less as far as hands on training.
The students evaluated each instructor after each class, and, when the kids were upset about the training
the took it out on the instructor! Then, we would be called in for a conference about the bad job we did!!!!
They also began to use less and less disipline to correct bad behavior( 18 to 24 year olds) Some were a joy to teach, but with no consequences for their actions, some did not care.Made for some very long days.
The CEO makes upwards of half a million salary, plus benefits, but the employees have to fight to get maybe 4 percent each year, and that is based on STUDENT EVALUATIONS
The icing on the cake was when they started to hire people with no automotive experience( this is an auto tech training school) to be managers and deciders of curriculum and training! Glad to be not there!!!!!!
None of your teaching skills can be used in any other public school, so you have to start over if you go to another school, not what you are told at UTI.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey will not use it, since they know it all!!!

Purpose-driven culture, but losing focus.

I have been working at UTI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Very collaborative culture. Many employees have found career development and… Cons: Lots of nepotism and small thinking. Very political and… Advice to Senior Management: Look for and be open to sustainable long-term strategies that revamp your old-fashioned business model. … No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UTI full-time for more than a year

Pros: They definitely care about their employees. I received excellent compensation and felt that my… Cons: Like most corporate environments, there were often conflicting priorities which were frustrating to deal with.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on UTI.

Worked for UTI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UTI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UTI CEO Kimberly J. McWaters. All reviews posted anonymously by UTI employees.