UTI was a great company prior to IPO. Gradually, it commenced downward after IPO. Reasonable benefits.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at UTI

Pros

A company provides reasonable benefits. Many dedicated personnel for students.

Cons

The senior management lacks strategic thinking and always on fire fighting mode. Extremely poor communication from the top. Seldom communicate when top person is fired. Changes occur on the basis of knee-jerk rather than rationale. Chaging the world one life a time is company taking point. It is aimed for few selected.

Walk the talk. Don't say or promise when you cann't keep. Improve governance.

Other Reviews for UTI

UTI Smoke and Mirrors

Former Employee - Instructor  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Instructor in Houston, TX

I worked at UTI

Pros

I love to teach!!!! Helping others to learn a trade is very rewarding( those that choose to learn)

Cons

Management displays constant unprofessional behavior towards instructors. I was employed for a number of years, because I believed in the training courses they used. Then it all changed when they changed the curriculum to make more money. They kept raising the tuition, and doing less as far as hands on training.
    The students evaluated each instructor after each class, and, when the kids were upset about the training
    the took it out on the instructor! Then, we would be called in for a conference about the bad job we did!!!!
    They also began to use less and less disipline to correct bad behavior( 18 to 24 year olds) Some were a joy to teach, but with no consequences for their actions, some did not care.Made for some very long days.
    The CEO makes upwards of half a million salary, plus benefits, but the employees have to fight to get maybe 4 percent each year, and that is based on STUDENT EVALUATIONS
    The icing on the cake was when they started to hire people with no automotive experience( this is an auto tech training school) to be managers and deciders of curriculum and training! Glad to be not there!!!!!!
    None of your teaching skills can be used in any other public school, so you have to start over if you go to another school, not what you are told at UTI.

They will not use it, since they know it all!!!

Purpose-driven culture, but losing focus.

I have been working at UTI full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very collaborative culture. Many employees have found career development and advancement. People believe in the mission of the company.

Cons

Lots of nepotism and small thinking. Very political and allergic to change and innovation.

Look for and be open to sustainable long-term strategies that revamp your old-fashioned business model. The world has changed but the company is trying to go back to the "good old days."

There are newer employer reviews for UTI.

Worked for UTI? Contribute to the Community!