Uber

There are newer employer reviews for Uber

The Best Job of my Life

Current Employee - Operations Manager
Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Each city acts as their own startup. You make the best decisions possible for your city as a team. There is no micro-management, no big overhead, and no limiting constraints. HQ empowers you to make the best decisions for your specific city, and it's incredible. I'm obsessed with working here and helping Uber grow.

Cons

Don't work for Uber if you're not willing to miss major holidays like New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, etc. This is the time when we are the busiest. It's really not that big a deal--you can still celebrate with your coworkers, and it's kinda fun.

Also, if you don't like to work hard (and work smart), then Uber won't be a good fit for you. They're seriously only looking for the best who really believe in the company and want to help continue its growth.

Finally, if you are uncomfortable with taking (calculated) risks, and doing things that have never been done before, you should steer clear of Uber. Our culture supports bringing new and innovative ideas to the table from every city around the world.

Stay awesome, stay inspirational. You guys rock.

331 Other Employee Reviews for Uber (View Most Recent)

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Great, Fast-Growing Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Smart people
    - Fast pace
    - Great leadership
    - Awesome benefits
    - Tightly knit teams/company

Working for a company that is driven by a vision that every employee shares makes working a pleasure. People here work hard and are great at getting things done. It also helps that we all use our application multiple times a week so we understand the product that we're building.

Cons

- As a company that is growing exponentially (global reach and it's personnel), we're constantly faced with new challenges in scaling people and processes, and although handling growing pains is well executed, it requires constant communication that sometimes isn't perfectly executed.
    - You'll get pushed to work hard and get a lot done. If you can't keep up with the work, it will impact your work-life balance.

Keep on doing a great job at keeping the culture as the company grows.

There are newer employer reviews for Uber