Uber

There are newer employer reviews for Uber

UberX Driver

Current Employee - UberX Driver in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - UberX Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Their payout to drivers is decent to good. I've worked for traditional companies in other industries that ream their employees simply to line the pockets of mgm't and owners with as much $$ as possible, but Uber isn't bad in that way. Sure our payouts could be better, but they're not ripping us off. The app share ride concept is brilliant.

Cons

Uber has a strange notion that drivers should not receive tips from passengers. We live in a tip culture for services provided. If a passenger wants to give a tip, then we should not be directed to say "no".

Also, it's true that the Uber rating system is flawed. A driver can literally do everything that Uber recommends to get a 5-star rating, but that doesn't mean the passenger will give you a five star. If a driver's rating is below 4.7 he can get deactivated without recourse. Uber also stresses that drivers not ask passengers to give them 5-star ratings. With regards to this, Uber puts drivers at risk.

Since we have to pay for all car maintenance, Uber needs to provide maintenance discount deals from local repair shops. We need a break on repair costs because we drive a lot, plus we have to pay for all of our fuel costs as well.

Develop an effective rating system much like eBay that gives "positive" or "negative" ratings and explains what great or bad things happened that was the determining factor of the rating. And give drivers the right to comment on their ratings of passengers. We know nothing about passengers, and when we rate them it's a simple lame star rating with no comment input field to give the reason why we rated the passenger. The passenger could be a psychopath or a jerk. We're vulnerable every time we drive, but if Uber had a rating system like eBay that exposes all parties in their past experiences, us drivers and those passengers would have a clearer understanding of who is getting into our cars and what TRUE level of service is being provided.

373 Other Employee Reviews for Uber (View Most Recent)

Uberx driver

Current Employee - Driver in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Driver in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, easy flexible schedule

Cons

Rowdy crowds, heavy use of personal vehicle

A support line would be helpful

perfect opportunity for extra income!

Current Employee - UberX Driver in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - UberX Driver in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Uber as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Virtually all the passengers I've had as a driver have been pleasant and great to talk to, and none of them have earned less than 5 stars in my book.
    -Pay is great. I have the car already, I have the free time, and I get 40 MPG highway, so it is a nice way to earn extra cash.
    -I get a great feeling of satisfaction from being a top driver for the best transportation service around.
    -Set own hours.

Cons

-The car I use is the first new vehicle I've ever owned, and I'm probably putting extra wear and tear on it by driving the rough Cleveland streets.
    -The app has crashed on me a couple of times when trying to accept a ride request, which caused me to lose out, and who knows what happened to the driver.
    -Have to carry two phones when driving for Uber, whereas Lyft uses the same app for drivers and riders. The app also does not show a picture of the car (like Lyft does), and when a person chooses a specific business for pickup, it just shows me the address, which I may not be familiar with.

Get a driver app for Android running soon please.

There are newer employer reviews for Uber