Ubisoft
www.ubisoftgroup.com Rennes, France 5000+ Employees

Low pay, bad management decisions, lazy workers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ubisoft

Pros- Fun work atmosphere with free drinks and fresh fruit
- Cool people to hang out with and talk about stuff unrelated work
- Not much micromanagement (but probably depends on the manager/department)
- Long lunches
- You won't get fired unless you epically screw up

Cons- Other development studios have referred to Ubi as "Ubi School" because Ubisoft pays so little, they frequently hire fresh grads. Once those guys gain some experience, they're off to another company that is willing to pay more.
- All the really good people (valuable, passionate, dedicated contributors) leave because of the following reasons:
- Ubisoft doesn't pay what people are worth.
- Ubisoft creates new job titles instead of using something standard in the industry so they can avoid paying the competitive industry rate for that role. (so I heard)
- When I joined, there were three levels between me and the VP of the department. When I left, there were six levels (three new ones were created).
- It is good practice to have your employees interview a potential new manager. Ubisoft doesn't do this. You end up with a bad fit for the team/department.
- Ubisoft doesn't fire people when they really need to be fired (i.e. leaving their team with chaos, to spend company funds for a conference they have no reason to be attending, taking time off when a project is about to fail, blaming failures on others, etc.) --> I suppose this is a "pro" for lazy people who just want an income.
- Nepotism. The CEO's wife's friend who was a nurse many years ago became the managing director of one of the company's studios. (so I heard) And so many more examples. Just being French or a French speaker is in your favor.
- When people have been around awhile, they start to get lazy (or maybe they started out that way and never got fired), and they are unresponsive and unhelpful. This is a worldwide problem, not specific to any one studio.
- Many departments are overloaded with work. So if you are working on a non-AAA title, don't expect marketing or creative services or whoever else to look at your project until it's too late.
- Management expects miracles. Here's $5 and 10 minutes, give me a five-course meal.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have managed to build up a reputation such that people are applying to jobs at Ubisoft because it seems like a cool place to work, and they'd be proud to work there. But why are all the best people leaving? Trim the fat. (If your best friend really needs a job, start them entry level or something they can contribute solid value towards.) Appreciate the competent folks and compensate them appropriately. Don't overwork them.

Positive

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros: Great culture at the company Cons: Sometimes it is tricky to work with the offices' different… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Challenging, but sometimes exciting

I have been working at Ubisoft

Pros: Laid back atmosphere, allows innovation, great people. Cons: Very little structure and support finding a path. More

There are newer reviews on Ubisoft.

Worked for Ubisoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ubisoft reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot. All reviews posted anonymously by Ubisoft employees.