Ubisoft

www.ubisoftgroup.com

An eye opener

Pros

* Most of my co-workers were nice, talented people.
* There wasn't an atmosphere of "crunch is normal"
* Wide variety of projects.

Cons

* Most political place I've ever worked (as in office politics). Many people there claim to "hate politics" but turn out to be the most politically devious folks I've ever seen.
* Many large egos waddling around, especially on the Assassin's Creed teams.
* Management is a nightmare. Everything is controlled by "Editorial," a review group in Paris. Team management is free to make all day-to-day decisions but do it with the knowledge that anything can be (and often is) overruled by Editorial. All major decisions are made by Editorial. Atmosphere of fear and frustration.
* The most screwed-up projects I've ever seen have been at Ubisoft.
* Paranoia reigns. Not just in the office politics sense and the "project is controlled 5,000 miles away" sense but there are security cameras everywhere (hallways, break rooms, etc.) and multiple security doors to pass through everywhere. To go from my desk to the bathroom and back, I had to go through four security doors, using my keycard to unlock each; to go the the break room and back, it was six security doors. Insane.

* I would never recommend anyone who's worked elsewhere in the industry to accept a job offer at Ubisoft. If you've never worked anywhere before, are desperate to break into the games industry, and can't get in anywhere else, then go ahead, but realize that other companies aren't run this way.

Allow the teams to have more say in the direction of their projects, don't continue to have everything completely dictated by Editorial. Get rid of all the security doors and cameras.

Other reviews for Ubisoft

junior game designer

Current Employee - Game Designer
    Current Employee - Game Designer

Pros

good project
    good collegaug
    have a large office
    international team
    good training
    nice boss

Cons

bad team work
    bad leader
    poor design

make it more local

If you want to work on AAA titles... that's the place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

Video game in Montreal is in like a unique buble that deos not reflect the realities of the normal salaries...

Cons

It is very hard to advance, to go up. If you want to go up, you have to leave and come back later. Plus, the contract is a pain if you want to work for a competitor afterward.

Get as much diplomas before you get in because it's hard to go up after your in. To go up, you have to get out and get back in.

There are newer employer reviews for Ubisoft.

Worked for Ubisoft? Contribute to the Community!