There are newer employer reviews for Uhlig

Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lenexa, KS
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Uhlig

Pros

Growing and very innovative company

Cons

Time off policies could be much simpler

8 Other Employee Reviews for Uhlig (View Most Recent)

Treated like children.

Current Employee - Proofreader  in  Lenexa, KS
    Current Employee - Proofreader in Lenexa, KS

I have been working at Uhlig

Pros

I only had to work two weeks out of the month.

Cons

Extremely controlled environment. Could not use Internet to look up information. We had to use dictionaries. We couldn't talk to each other without getting looks or talked to. The supervisors sat high up on desks so that they could keep an eye on everyone to make sure we were working every second. We were told there were cameras watching us also which creeped me out. Overall, it felt like we were in jail and that we couldn't be trusted. It very much felt like a "them vs. us" atmosphere.

Treat your employees as adults and pay them what they're worth. If you're going to pay for all those background checks and extensive interviewing, trust that the people you hire are going to do a good job without you having to watch them every second.

Good for a starter job out of college to get experience.

I worked at Uhlig full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My co-workers were the best, it was the main reason I stayed for as long as I did.

Cons

I worked at this company for 5 years, and saw two raises in my time here. I will preface this with the fact that you had no idea when you would get a raise; as there is no annual review process in place. There is no incentive for going above and beyond in your job - "it all pays the same" was a phrase I heard in the office quite often.

The personal time off allotted per employee is rather low. You get 10 personal days, after 5 years of service you get 15 days. It takes 10 years of service to get the max of 20 days. Your personal days are for everything: sick, vacation, personal, etc. Six holidays per calendar year are paid. In addition to the six you get the choice of one floating holiday: you can choose between Black Friday, Christmas Eve or New Years. Your floating holiday's usage is contingent upon your departments coverage. No bonuses are offered.

If you are sick and need to call in, you have to do the following: call your direct manager, call HR and leave a voicemail, inform one employee in your department that you will be out, and upon your return fill out an electronic form you will have to submit to get paid. To say the least - the time off policy was overly complicated! I felt like they made it strategically complicated to discourage you from calling in. The company was also strict when the weather was bad. They would send out company-wide emails the day before an anticipated snowstorm to let you know that they expected you to do your best to be there on time the following day. Many of my co-workers felt these emails were insensitive, when they should have clearly focused on our safety.

No room for growth in your job depending on the department you are in. Flexible schedules are not offered.

In order to retain quality people, you have to treat them right and communicate information. Too often the employees I worked with felt like management kept secrets to maintain a heirachy of perceived power.

Offer flexible work schedules to your employees, 8:30 - 5:30 doesn't work for everyone. Recognize employees who are doing a great job for you, not just through the "Process Improvement Model" submissions. To be honest, more often than not my co-workers felt underappreciated, and that no one in management cared. You can't tell your employees how great a company is doing, when there are no raises or bonuses seen.

Offer competitive pay. Put a system in place for annual reviews, and communicate to your employees when reviews will happen - not having a system in place leds to "hearsay" and a rumor mill work environment.

There should be an open door policy for employees when questions arise, the company needs to work on open and honest communication. Not much transparency currently here.

Employees need feedback on the jobs they do.

Streamline your timeoff policy.

Focus on what matters! Working in a pristine building is not the first thing your employees care about. Making your employees feel appreciated is what will make and keep your company growing. If your employees aren't vested in your company there is a reason.

There are newer employer reviews for Uhlig

Worked for Uhlig? Contribute to the Community!