More of a caretaker than manager

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  York, PA
Current Employee - Store Manager in York, PA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The pay was outstanding for the work load. Communication was very good once you understood where to look, and how to find it. A young company that has the right mix of product to do well and be around for a VERY LONG TIME.

Cons

Every part of your job, function, task, etc, is micro managed. You do not call any shots without it being ok'ed by one or two people above you. Everything is mapped out, and all you need to do is follow all the guidelines. The position felt more like a caretaker as I did not feel like I could have the space to grow business in my market. The store does run lean and mean, so you you have X number of hours for a task, make sure to complete it in those hours because you will never get the back.

Payroll for an extra keyholder, even if part time would help many managers at the store level balance work/life much better. Keep working on hours to task ratio as well. Some task had more hours than needed whereas some not enough. Also allow for more flex in making the schedule in WFD. Store managers do (at times) know more than a computer program.

Other Reviews for Ulta Beauty

extremely unprofessional management.

Former Employee - Cashier/Task Associate  in  New Hartford, NY
    Former Employee - Cashier/Task Associate in New Hartford, NY

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Great discount! Learned alot about how to run a store and whats necessary.

Cons

Management talks bad about the employees for no good reason. My manager openly screamed at the top of her lungs at me in front of a fellow employee over HER making me get out of work late because she was ignoring me for a half an hour after my shift had ended. All management openly makes fun of the customers. Customers are looked at as an annoyance instead of a respectable guest. Employees are treated extremely unprofessionally and anyone not in management is severly under paid along with only given about 10 hours a week.The only way to get promoted is to suck up to the rude management, and only if they like you on a personal level(has nothing to do with job performance). I worked for ulta for a year exactly and I only resigned because I was being treated so unfairly I would go home crying my eyes out 9 out of 10 times I left work. Working at ulta is a popularity contest and I wouldn't suggest working there unless your prepared to deal with catty women whom quickly seperate themselves into clicks just like a high school. I have much more I could say but it looks like I am running out of room on here! Please take my advice on this, and get to know management before accepting a job offer. Ulta is a great place to work, but the people are awful.

You all need to act in a professional matter, in every way possible. Also management needs to follow the rules and regulations(cell phones, dress codes, personal employee talks need to be PRIVATE and professional not a screaming match).

Disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

My co-workers are very friendly and the company does offer a challenge to those who are looking for one. Also, having the opportunity to try new products before they hit the market is a perk.

Cons

Does not promote within. Many talented people have left the company because of being overlooked. Promotions are usually given to the people who complete the least amount of work and the company is too top heavy. ULTA will not spend the money to update needed systems or increase head count to complete the workload that it will take to build the business.

A little recongnition goes a long way. Rarely are employees praised or identitfied for their hard work and commitment.

There are newer employer reviews for Ulta Beauty.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!