Ulta Beauty
www.ulta.com Bolingbrook, IL 5000+ Employees

No room for growth

Cashier/Task Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros50% salon discount
Discount off everything in store
The girls at my store are awesome

ConsSchedules are never made more than a week in advance. You will have to plan all your weekends two or three days before the schedules are made. Hours are also unfairly distributed among cashiers-- one person will get 5 hours, while another will get 20 hours, despite open availability. Management will hire outside rather than promoting internally; they are given based on favoritism, rather than efficiency, meeting of goals, getting high NPS scores from customers, and getting customers to sign up for the scam magazine subscriptions. I have worked for the company for over a year and a half and each time, upper management (GM and DM) promotes an outside employee who has only been working for 3 months. They eventually quit the company. You will constantly get bitched at by customers with all the coupon restrictions-- 90% of them who are too lazy to read the fine print. General Managers are consistently getting moved around, or fired. It is apparent that the company doesn't value education. Unlike other companies, you will have to work holidays. Non management will never get pay and a half for working holidays. It's no wonder turnover rate is so high.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour stores will never make consistent sale goals if you don't hire enough employees and sales representatives to introduce customers to new products. NPS surveys are only a snap shot of what a store actually looks like. Corporate would never know this because they don't actually work the sales floor and contribute to the sales goals. Their tactic is bullying. Cut out the magazine scams altogether. You're not making enough profit off these anyway, and demographics already know about Ulta. That's what the sales ads are for. How about positive reinforcement for your cashiers, more gratis, or appreciation for their hard work to keep up morale? A little goes a long way.

Very rewarding

Technical Trainer and Designer Stylist (Current Employee)
Palmdale, CA

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros: Ulta takes a lot of pride in there salon staff and give them regular education I don't think… Cons: In my experience salon managers and store managers need more… Advice to Senior Management: When hireing salon managment they need way more education on technical… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

ULTA teaches you the foundations of the beauty industry

Prestige Consultant (Former Employee)
Portage, MI

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros: I loved working at ULTA for 1) the amazing discount...25% off and twice yearly… Cons: Holidays are so so busy, but it really does make… Advice to Senior Management: During the beginning of the new fiscal year management likes… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Ulta Beauty.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ulta Beauty reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon. All reviews posted anonymously by Ulta Beauty employees.